Friday, July 22, 2016

Winter's Heir by Amber Argyle

Series: Fairy Queens #4
174 p.
Publisher: Indie
Published: 7/20/16
Source: From author for review
Goodreads page for this series order: Fairy Queens Series
A price must be paid.

Elice has left behind the ice and isolation of winter. Before her is the warmth and wonder of summer with all its color and life. Adar, the young man she saved from the sea, is by her side, and his touch sends tendrils of heat where before there was only cold.

But all is not as it seems. There are secrets hidden in the heart of summer. Secrets that could burn Elice to the ground and take the whole world with her. The decades-long war between the fairies of winter and summer has thrown off the balance of nature, leaving the world in its death throes.

Adar believes Elice can stop the destruction—if only she will listen to him. But like the fairies’ bargains, that trust comes with a cost. And the price Elice will pay will tear asunder the boundaries between dreams and family, loyalty and betrayal.
My thoughts:
The cover might look familiar to some. This was first posted for #3, Daughter of Winter (review linked), but had changed right before it was published and I hadn't realized it. So, this is the correct cover for this book and I still like it. :)

Since the book was split into two, we arrive in this book where the last left off. We still find ourselves trying to survive with our companions and some revelations come to light about Elice and Adar. Not going to tell you what they were, but at least one of them took my surprise. I was thinking that the ending was following another path and I have to admit I wasn't too happy. However, a turn was taken and I became more interested in what happened and the ending was quite satisfying.

I give this story 4 stars. I really liked the ending and I'm curious as to what comes next. The epilogue leaves the door cracked open for more stories in this world. While most of her books are connected, you can read this series without reading her other books. I do suggest that you read The Fairy Queens in order since they build on one another. I recommend it to those that enjoy YA fantasy.
Banner from author Amber Argyle

26 comments:

  1. I still like the summer queen cover the best, that one is so pretty :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad this was so good and all the covers for this series are pretty. Great review and have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good series. Hope you have a nice one as well!

      Delete
  3. Not a fan of fairy books, but I'm glad you've been enjoying this series. I love how different the covers have been. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, these aren't sweet fae... :) It is more fantasy in feel.

      Delete
  4. Oh wow! That cover totally draws me in. Sounds like a great series overall. I don't read much YA, but maybe this one?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh funny on the cover. Yay for it being a good one for ya. Hope you get more books from the series :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am curious to see if there is a offshoot series or something.

      Delete
  6. I haven't heard of this series but it sounds fantastic so thanks for putting it on my radar, Melissa! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy to hear this was another good installment. Alway nice when it ends well but has you craving the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that cover! Glad the story pulled through for you and stayed on the right path. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty! Those twists really did end up on that path. :)

      Delete
  10. It's great to have a good new one like that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the cover - she kind of looks like the new Wonder Woman lol

    This probably isn't my thing but it's nice to still be enjoying a series this many books in.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! She does!

      I've been enjoying this series more than I thought. :)

      Delete
  12. I'm not familiar with this author, but she has beautiful covers. I'm glad you enjoyed this book. I'm going to have to look it up at some point.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love this cover. It's mostly YA so know that before you start. :) Although it is more fantasy.

      Delete
  13. I've listened to the first book and would love to continue with the series. :) Glad the series is continuing on for you! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the first book. I'd be curious to see how it is on audio.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!