Friday, July 29, 2016

Audiobook Review: Soldier by Julie Kagawa


Series: Talon #3
Narrators: Caitlin Davies, MacLeod Andrews, Chris Patton, and Tristan Morris
Unabridged
10 hrs. 59 min
Publisher: Blackstone Audio
Published: 4/26/16
Source: Audiobook Jukebox, and publisher for review
When forced to choose between safety with the dragon organization Talon and being hunted forever as an outcast, Ember Hill chose to stand with Riley and his band of rogue dragons rather than become an assassin for Talon. She's lost any contact with her twin brother, Dante, a Talon devotee, as well as Garret, the former-enemy soldier who challenged her beliefs about her human side. As Ember and Riley hide and regroup to fight another day, Garret journeys alone to the United Kingdom, birthplace of the ancient and secret Order of St. George, to spy on his former brothers and uncover deadly and shocking secrets that will shake the foundations of dragons and dragon-slayers alike, placing them all in imminent danger as Talon's new order rises.
My thoughts:

I enjoyed the last book in this series on audiobook, so when this one came up for review I jumped at the chance. I enjoyed how all the narrators in this series work. Each narrator takes a chapter and a character. When it is that character's POV, the corresponding narrator takes over that chapter. It really helps for those that normally have problems with multi-POV but I've not had a problem with that aspect of the series even when I read it.

Each narrator is excellent for their characters. While it might throw you a bit when voicing the other characters, it isn't enough to draw you out of the story and they are actually pretty consistent in inflection of the voiced characters. Mostly it was the male narrators voicing the female character and vice versa where you really noticed the difference. This is often the case in any audiobook you will encounter, however and was a minor niggle overall.

The story really seems to pick up speed from the last book and I though it wrapped up some of the events that was building from the last book. I wasn't sure how the triangle would play out, but it wasn't bad and while things wasn't quite worked out, it didn't bother me as well. Revelations made that triangle more twisty which actually made it more interesting. So those that don't like triangles be wary but don't shy from the series either.

As far as the rest of the book... oh twists galore... and one very wicked twist in the end. However, having read this author's other works, I trust that things will work out in a interesting manner and one that I will accept. Right now I'm still reeling with the last twist in this book. Sorry, all I will say.

I give this audio 4 stars. I really like the way the multi-POV is done on this audio and I so need that next book now. Need to know what happens next. NEEDS I tell ya. LOL

36 comments:

  1. Kagawa's books haven't really worked for me in the past but I haven't given this series a try and it seems fantastic! I'm particularly glad that the audiobooks do such a good job of multiple PoV shifts--I'll definitely need to give this a try myself. Great review, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the audiobook lends something to it. For me, I don't warm up to her series until the 2nd or 3rd book... then I'm hooked.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, not just dragons but rogue dragons. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, some of them are rogue. The ones that aren't are interesting in how it fits into the puzzle as well. :)

      Delete
  3. I've never read/listened to her work, but I've heard great things. This series seems exciting, but I may need to wait until all the books are done so I'm not left waiting! haha Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I know what you mean. I, for some odd reason, thought this was the last book in the series. The ending proved me wrong. :)

      Delete
  4. I had read some meh reviews for the first book so I took a pass but I would like to try something by Kagawa one day.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, this one grows on you. I have to say this was probably the best book in this series. She often takes a couple of books to hit the stride of a series.

      Delete
  5. I just listened to a book where the narration was wonderfully done and I think it's the same thing you talked about here. I really love the different voices and the actual back and forth between speakers. Made for a more enjoyable experience. Though, this series hasn't been getting the best reviews, I'm more convinced that listening to it would be better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think that by listening to the last 2 books I've enjoyed this series more than I would have by reading it. Sometimes it makes a book better. :)

      Delete
  6. I so need to start this series. I've been on the fence but now I'm thinking I should give it a go on audio!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The library had a translation..in the adult section...sigh

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I need to listen to this series Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A good narration makes all the difference! I've never read anything with dragons (gasp), so I may need to pick this up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed her novels but I haven't tried this series. maybe one day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never read this author. I do like books with dragons and this sounds like it was pretty exciting with all the twists and the ending you mention but don't tell!I am glad you are enjoying these :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I'm ready and primed to try audiobooks now! I'm listening to self-help, I should try fiction soon.

    I haven't tried any Kagawa book, isn't that sad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy to do it if you are doing something. I fall asleep otherwise. I usually end up loving a secondary character in her books a lot. Try her work! :)

      Delete
  13. Twists galore? Yeeee! I have book one on audio. Once I finish the current historical series I'm doing I may just have to pull that one up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't really get twisty until this one. :) With her, her books tend to get better as you go.

      Delete
  14. Ohhh I curious about the audio for this series now. I enjoyed her vampire series, but haven't started these yet. Sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The first book was just okay for me but I do want to finish this series Happy it was good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, often her books will start out fine, but get better as the series grows. :)

      Delete
  16. Ooooh. There are many narrators in this one. Nice to see! And I do want to get to this series. Maybe Audio would be the way to go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't wait to read this book! I am such a fan of JK and this series so I am pleased to see that you enjoyed it.

    A great review! Sharon - Obsession with Books

    ReplyDelete
  18. I actually purchased the paper back of this the other day! I cannot wait to get into it... although, I may wait until it's closer to the forth book's release.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!