Monday, July 25, 2016

The Winner's Kiss by Marie Rutkoski

Series: The Winner's Trilogy #3
484 p.
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Published: 5/29/16
Source: Library
Some kisses come at a price. 
War has begun. Arin is in the thick of it with untrustworthy new allies and the empire as his enemy. Though he has convinced himself that he no longer loves Kestrel, Arin hasn’t forgotten her, or how she became exactly the kind of person he has always despised. She cared more for the empire than she did for the lives of innocent people—and certainly more than she did for him. 
At least, that’s what he thinks. 
In the frozen north, Kestrel is a prisoner in a brutal work camp. As she searches desperately for a way to escape, she wishes Arin could know what she sacrificed for him. She wishes she could make the empire pay for what they’ve done to her.
But no one gets what they want just by wishing.
As the war intensifies, both Kestrel and Arin discover that the world is changing. The East is pitted against the West, and they are caught in between. With so much to lose, can anybody really win?
My thoughts:

Oh left with a killer ending that left me reeling for the next one. FINALLY the person who had it checked out released the book and it was in my hot little hands (well, virtually since it was an ebook). Can I say I love being able to put books on hold with the option to immediately check it out for you? Okay, enough of my drama (heh) and onto Kestrel and Arin's drama... trying to do it without spoilers (well, there may be slight spoilers but I will do my best). Oh you who have not read these are making it hard for me.

Well we were left with Kestrel in a precarious position that only got worse. Even with everything she was going though I had to admire her strength. You also couldn't blame her giving in but never totally giving up. Arin, on the other hand, annoyed me to no end. He was fine until he met up with Kestrel and then it was all about him. It got to the point I wanted to tell him to get over himself and he would have bothered me more if it wasn't for the character of Roshar. Roshar became Arin's balance and best friend... even later to Kestrel. At least it was Arin and not Kestrel in that role. It is that is usually the role of the female to be that annoying. I really admired how Kestrel moved through her trauma and moved toward healing. Arin did finally come around and he became the man I could root for again. I never totally lost my ability to root for him since he did care for his country and the people in it so deeply.

I give this ending book 4 stars. I got all my questions answered and it was a solid ending to the adventure. I would love to read a book about Roshar and could totally see him in a book of his own. I recommend it to those that enjoy fantasy YA.

30 comments:

  1. Yay, I'm so glad you enjoyed this! This was my favorite of the trilogy and I felt ALL THE FEELS. It was such a hard book for these characters--and ME!--but I'm so excited, now, to see what else Rutkoski comes up with in the future. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in such agreement with you. I'm also curious to what we get next. :)

      Delete
  2. I love that everything was answered. I loved the first book, I just need to pick up the others now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh this one is good and it is great that all of them are out now. :)

      Delete
  3. I am really curious about these

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would enjoy them. Older YA so I think you are good. :)

      Delete
  4. I totally forgot about this series. I listened to the audiobooks last year. I will have to grab this one to see how it all ends. I love the library ebook and audibook feature too. Hugs to you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have to "reread" in audio, but my library only had it in print (well, ebook). :)

      <3 to you! Take care of yourself. ((HUGS))

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed this series and I was very happy about this ending! I recommend as well lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was too! Ending books aren't my fave, but there are exceptions. :)

      Delete
  6. Glad to see questions were answered. Great review Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep meaning to check out this series! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd enjoy this one... especially since they are all out now.

      Delete
  8. I don't know how I'll handle Arin being such a jerk at one point, but I'll do my very best to roll with it and keep liking him. I haven't even read book 2 yet, but I ordered both and I'll binge read when they arrive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More whiney than jerky for me, but he does come around so I think you are good.

      Delete
  9. I just recently found my copy of the second book, so I'm looking forward to finally finishing the series. I'm all kinds of scared, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might want to have the 3rd book on hand before you start the second. Just sayin'... :D

      Delete
  10. I have only read the first book in this series and I need to play catch-up. I'm pleased to hear that you were satisfied with the ending.

    A great review!~ Sharon - Obsession with Books

    ReplyDelete
  11. Roshar! Yesssss!!! I would LOVE to read more about him.

    I agree about Arin but he annoyed me more in the 2nd book for some reason.

    I loved this one. A very solid conclusion to the trilogy.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We so need a Roshar book. At least Arin did come around. :D

      Delete
  12. Yay for a solid ending on these :D I was hovering my finger over the audio of book one this weekend. I almost did it but then went with something else. I'll have to do that next though :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like the perfect ending! I have the first book... I will get there!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!