Monday, May 30, 2016

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

Series: Six of Crows #1
465 p.
Published: 9/29/15
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.
Source: Library
Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price—and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can't pull it off alone... 
A convict with a thirst for revenge.
A sharpshooter who can't walk away from a wager.
A runaway with a privileged past.
A spy known as the Wraith.
A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums.
A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes.

Kaz's crew are the only ones who might stand between the world and destruction—if they don't kill each other first.
My thoughts:

I've only read the first book in the Grisha series by Leigh Bardugo and I was thinking for some reason it was a different fantasy. It is a first book, but set in the Grisha world of the first series. Not necessary to know this, but I do think it helps with the worldbuilding. I now want to go back and read or listen to the other two in the first trilogy.

The book seemed to be slow moving at first. I did like the characters and the romance was slow building. It took me most of the book to really get into it and by the end I was captivated. It also works the multi-POV well and you really fall into the characters even more this way. The action was heart stopping and the ending action was so twisted it was good. Yes, I'm an ending girl and this book gave me a great ending... except. *sigh* Well, it wasn't exactly a cliffie ending but you have one last thing that happens before the end that does leave you hanging. You can safely say that I need that next book

I give this book 4 stars. While the beginning was a bit slow for me, I really enjoyed the characters and the fantasy world. I recommend it to those that enjoy fantasy.

30 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this one. And that's a feat considering it's a genre I don't particularly like. I get the slowness in the beginning, too. It definitely tried my patience but I'm glad you persevered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is good. I'm always more interested in people who like a book outside their genre.

      Delete
  2. Like you, I've only read the first Grisha book, but I actually have this on audio and I have high hopes for it. I have a feeling I'll enjoy it far more than the original series. I don't mind slowness in fantasy, especially at first. I'm glad it worked for you in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one makes me want to go back and fill in the little blanks in this world. I do hope you enjoy it as much or more than I did! :)

      Delete
  3. I've heard it has a slow start so I think I'll be prepared for it. I do want to read this, at some point. Heck, I still need to finish her Grisha trilogy. I feel so behind some days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I didn't know about the slow start, but I knew that the ones I trusted liked it so that helped. :)

      I'm also behind on my reading list. #firstworldproblems. :D

      Delete
  4. Oh I did not realise that about the series

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been back and forth on this one, especially since I don't usually like fantasy. May have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might start with the other series first since it really establishes the world here.

      Delete
  6. I love the cover. I am obsessed with crows. Happy the books was good. I need to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a shame that the book seems slow as the author sets up the world. Good to see you were hooked in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a way it was already set up but needed more tweaking (I assume since I only read the first book in the other series). Still, I'm an ending girl, so that was okay. :)

      Delete
  8. Despite that it was slow at first, it sounds like a good one, I remember hearing great things about it

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this on audio Melissa and even if it started slow you have me excited :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It took me almost 100 pages to get hooked but then WOWZA! I loved it!

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely LOVE this book so I'm glad to see you enjoyed it, despite the fact that the beginning was slow for you. Lovely review, Melissa--like you, I need this sequel ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might have made a difference if I had read the entirety of the other series. *shrug* :) I still enjoyed it.

      Delete
  12. I've got this one on my never ending summer reading list. I love the sound of a heist fantasy story. I know that you can read this one without finishing the Grisha trilogy but I just...can't. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahhh I have this on my list. I just loved the cover for it and had to add it in. Glad it picked up for you and you had a good time with it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do think you should read the other series... it sets up the world so well for this one. I'm going to continue with it.

      Delete
  14. This one is on my list. So many books, so little time. Great review. :-)

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a series I've seen around and want to try. Sounds a little different yet so good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh do try the Grisha novels first. :) I think you'll like that fantasy read.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!