Friday, May 20, 2016

In the Labyrinth of Drakes by Marie Brennan

Series: Memoir of Lady Trent #4
352 p.
Publisher: Tor Books
Published: 4/5/16
Source: From publisher for review
The thrilling new book in the acclaimed fantasy series from Marie Brennan, as the glamorous Lady Trent takes her adventurous explorations to the deserts of Akhia. 
Even those who take no interest in the field of dragon naturalism have heard of Lady Trent's expedition to the inhospitable deserts of Akhia. Her discoveries there are the stuff of romantic legend, catapulting her from scholarly obscurity to worldwide fame. The details of her personal life during that time are hardly less private, having provided fodder for gossips in several countries. 
As is so often the case in the career of this illustrious woman, the public story is far from complete. In this, the fourth volume of her memoirs, Lady Trent relates how she acquired her position with the Royal Scirling Army; how foreign saboteurs imperiled both her work and her well-being; and how her determined pursuit of knowledge took her into the deepest reaches of the Labyrinth of Drakes, where the chance action of a dragon set the stage for her greatest achievement yet.
My thoughts:

I have loved these alternate historical books about dragons from the first book. While these books are in audio format, this is one series I would suggest you do NOT go audio. Well, you can, but do make sure you have the illustrations to look at. It is the illustrations that have brought every book to life for me. This one was no exception.

I got involved with this one a bit quicker than the rest. Often it takes me a minute to really get into a memoir format. In the books she is recounting her life as a dragon naturalist (if you aren't familiar with the books) but this one is quite personal as well. I think it became more personal much quicker than the others so it was also easier for me to slip into the world.

We actually get a touch of romance in this one and I was thrilled. I have wanted this pairing for a while now but I don't want to reveal too much. If you have read the other books I am suspecting you have guessed at the couple I speak, if not, read them... you'll see. ;)

I give this book 4 stars. Check out the illustrator Todd Lockwood (you can see the reviews and artwork of his in earlier posts HERE) which I have no doubt will draw people in to this alternate universe where we share our world with dragons.

36 comments:

  1. This is interesting. I don't think I've ever experienced reading fiction in a memoir-format. Quite ingenious, if I may say so myself. Romance is a nice addition, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting but I do enjoy the alternate universe. :)

      Delete
  2. I didn't realize this was a series. I need to look for them the next time I'm at the bookstore. I'm sure they're worth it for the illustrations alone.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty interesting series. I think this is one that really grew on me.

      Delete
  3. I think in the case of this series the audio definitely does the book a disservice because those illustrations are GORGEOUS. I want these books just for those. The fantastic story is just a bonus:) Also, yay romance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If the cover is any indication of what is inside, I would definitely want to have it in person as well! Great review and have a wonderful weekend Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very interested in this series but I'm a bit afraid it may be too heavy for me. I don't have much patience for slow books and this is one series I imagine is fairly slow because of the nature of the story. One day I'll get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It starts out a bit slow but really picks up later in the series. I think it was necessary to establish the world.

      Delete
  6. I know how much you enjoy this series so I'm glad it only continues to get better and impress! I definitely need to pick this up sometime this summer, so I can't wait to join the bandwagon of fans. Lovely review, Melissa--I'm so glad this didn't disappoint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I liked this series more as it went along as well. :) Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  7. Anything about dragons is a perfect choice for me, and with such amazing artwork it's not to be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First Linda and now you raving about the books. I need to take the time to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds different from anything I've read. Great review.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was different and is fun with an alternate universe.

      Delete
  10. I saw great things about this novel and it sounds quite interesting! I confess that I'm curious

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds really cool, and the cover is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had the first book, hut gave it to my brother for Christmas, before I had a chance to read it. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't heard of this series before, but it does sound interesting. I love that there are illustrations that tie int the story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really need to get to this series. I have the first 2 or 3 books and really want to read them! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you need to read it. I think it really took off for me in the second book.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!