Monday, May 9, 2016

Craft Book Review: Stress-Free Vegetable Gardening by Caleb Warnock


Genre: Gardening
176 p.
Published: 2/9/16
Publisher: Cedar Fort
Source: From publisher for review
No more excuses! Well-known author Caleb Warnock provides insightful instruction on how to make gardening fun, easy, and stress-free.

You will learn such things as how to silence popular gardening myths, avoid those obnoxious weeds, remove pests safely and without nasty chemicals, grow vegetables year-round, and so much more!

Also included is a cheat sheet on how to grow, care for, and harvest anything from the commonly known cucumbers, carrots, and potatoes, to the lesser-known sunchoke, mustard greens, and Chinese cabbage.

Learn how easy it is to create an abundant crop with almost no effort. With this book in hand, you can enjoy delicious harvests that come back year after year!

Caleb was raised in the kitchens and gardens of the last generation to provide family meals without relying on the grocery store.
 My thoughts:

Again, since I'm not the official gardener in the family, I will have a dual review of the book of sorts with my mom.

What drew me to this book was the part about avoiding obnoxious weeds and removing pests without chemicals. I'm not so sure I want to grow year-round but it might be something to consider if I ever win the lotto and get that track of land I've been eyeing. :) I like that the plant information was broken down for me in an easy way. When to plant, when to harvest, where and how and also how to preserve the fruits (and veggies... heh) of your labor.

My mom had a different take on the book and it was more concise. She thought the book was more for those that had a large track of land with no neighbors who spray a lot for everything. She also thought there needed to be more consideration to the soil you have or replacing the topsoil could get quite pricey. That also included the tidbit about watering overnight. If you have a clay type soil, it does not penetrate easily and you'd be watering the neighborhood. Not good in drought areas. she did love the little tidbits she says she will incorporate in her planting. Mostly those that I have already listed.

We give this book 3 stars. While it has valuable plant information, if you don't have the space and soil perfect for the kind of conditions the books seems to want, you may not find it as helpful as you would like. It is valuable for the plant information, however.


24 comments:

  1. Interesting to read the duel perspectives on this one. I must admit that it was the mention of obnoxious weeds that grabbed my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the plant information. I think you'd enjoy that part as well.

      Delete
  2. Love all your mom's thoughts on this! I can tell she knows her stuff. It has been a long time since we have had a garden. Since having kids I just haven't had the time for it but one day I will get back into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, she comes by it honestly. :) This one isn't really for small gardens, but I'd try container gardening if you still want to do it. Might work?

      Delete
  3. Grow year round...I would need a green house and loooots of money

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our soil is clay like so we have to do a lot of composting and adding top soil. It helps but I think it's not ideal for some plants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wanted a vegetable garden. Then again, I've killed a cactus before...sooo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I've killed cactus and have a hard time with those... but I've grown things from seed in the house. :)

      Delete
  6. I'm really not fit for gardening and well with dog it would be impossible to grow food

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am def not green thumb, can't tell the start of real plants from weeds

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was interested about getting rid of pests because last year we had some kind of weird bug that hit towards the end of growing season. Also we are trying cucumbers again this year. Only got one last year-we planted them a bit differently this year. Who knows if we are doing it right or wrong? But we are doing a deck garden due to many little critters around here so no this book probably is not one we need. Enjoyed both of your thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope the cucumbers do well this year! Would love a deck garden!

      Delete
  9. Vegetable gardens would be hard... I think they would be better with land too. Glad it has a lot of information about plants in it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have clay here. It's awful! And very expensive bringing in dirt :/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like your mom makes some great points.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!