Monday, August 3, 2015

Classic Human Anatomy in Motion by Valerie L. Winslow


Art Instruction
 304 p.
Publisher: Watson-Guptill
Published: 8/4/15
Source: NetGalley and publisher for review
This highly illustrated reference book provides artists and art students with an understanding of human anatomy and different types of motion, inspiring more realistic and energetic figurative art.

Fine-art instruction books do not usually focus on anatomy as it relates to movement, despite its great artistic significance. Written by a long-time expert on drawing and painting human anatomy, Classic Human Anatomy in Motion offers artists everything they need to realistically draw the human figure as it is affected by movement. Written in a friendly style, the book is illustrated with hundreds of life drawing studies (both quick poses and long studies), along with charts and diagrams showing the various anatomical and structural components. This comprehensive manual features five distinct sections, each focusing on a different aspect of the human figure: bones and joint movement, muscle groups, surface form and soft tissue characteristics, structure, and movement. Each chapter builds an artistic understanding of how motion transforms the human figure and can create a sense of expressive vibrancy in one's art.
My thoughts:

This art book actually reminds me more of the anatomy books you get when you study animation. It makes sense that you would study movement in classical poses since you can render a subject off balance and not realize it. This book helps you understand the structure behind the movement and poses your subject gives you. You can then translate a pose in a balanced way or once you gain understanding unbalance a subject in a purposeful way.

This book would also be of help to those that deal with any kind of structural endeavor.  Those that want a greater understanding of movement would get a great overlook on how the muscles and bones process movement. While sometimes it can be a tedious amount of information, but it is useful as a reference guide. It would be a great addition to other figure drawing books. I give this book 3 1/2 stars.

24 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting, nice of you to share. Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love studying anatomy, especially when it comes to men ...

    Anyway, I wish I could draw or paint. Believe me, I tried, but I'll stick with paint-by-number. This sounds like a good book though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I bet I can get you interested in a figure drawing class... ;)

      Delete
  3. This sounds fascinating and I love that cover, the drawing is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooo this would be a book for my mom Melissa, she was a fashion illustrator out of college and is all about the human form. Thanks for the review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a fascinating book, Melissa! My best friend is a painter and she's studied very similar things while she was in Uni. I'm basically blind to everything around me, so this would be quite the revelation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this would be awesome to read for the illustrations. I will have to see if my library has it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be a bit boring if you aren't really looking for how to balance a figure drawing.

      Delete
  7. Hm... if it is the one I'm thinking about, I can see the similarities.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds good, but no the book I would need

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, funny story. I took an art class one summer out at a farm. I got to make pottery on a wheel, and painted using different canvass and paints. I loved that class. My BFF and I attend together. We drew nudes in class, and when I brought mine home I was so proud of my naked couple...my Dad however took issue with how realistic it was and the next thing ya know we aren't attending classes anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds interesting! I can't even draw stick people though, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that there's stuff like this out there. Not something I'd need (I am so NOT the drawing/painting sort) but still pretty neat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't have an artistic bone in my body but I do enjoy reading about it.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  13. Though barely able to draw a stick figure myself I'm sure this will be of great use to any budding artists out there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice to get a good sense of movement, not something I would pick up normally anyways

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am not artistic at all but I have a few friends that would absolutely love this book! it sounds really interesting.

    Thank you for sharing :-)

    Sharon - Obsession with Books

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh. This might be one for my brother and his drawing buddies. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Art books like this make me wish I had a bit (okay, a lot) more artistic talent. Those people who can recreate these types of precision drawings just fascinate me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!