Friday, August 21, 2015

Audiobook Review: Eighth Grave After Dark by Darynda Jones with Crafts!


Series: Charlie Davidson #8
Narrator: Lorelei King
9 hrs.
Unabridged
Publisher: Audible Audio
Published: 5/19/15
Source: Library
With twelve hellhounds after her, pregnant Charley Davidson takes refuge at the only place she thinks they can’t get to her: the grounds of an abandoned convent. But after months of being cooped up there, Charley is ready to pop. Both metaphorically and literally since she is now roughly the size of a beached whale. Fortunately, a new case has captured her attention, one that involves a murder on the very grounds the team has taken shelter upon. A decades-old murder of the newly-vowed nun she keeps seeing in the shadows is almost enough to pull her out of her doldrums.

Charley's been forbidden to step foot off the sacred grounds. While the angry hellhounds can’t traverse the consecrated soil, they can lurk just beyond its borders. They have the entire team on edge, especially Reyes. And if Charley didn’t know better, she would swear Reyes is getting sick. He grows hotter with every moment that passes, his heat scorching across her skin every time he’s near, but naturally he swears he’s fine. 
While the team searches for clues on the Twelve, Charley just wants answers and is powerless to get them. But the mass of friends they’ve accrued helps. They convince her even more that everyone in her recent life has somehow been drawn to her, as though they were a part of a bigger picture all along. But the good feelings don’t last for long because Charley is about to get the surprise of her crazy, mixed-up, supernatural life….
My thoughts:
I couldn't wait to get into this book. I have the physical book, but wanted to continue it on audio since I've done all of them on audio. Luckily my library got it (with my prodding...) and so I picked up this series where I left off last. I couldn't wait to meet "Beep". :)

While this one doesn't have quite the same punch as the other, I still enjoyed my time with Charley and the gang. Oh and Reyes... need I say more? LOL This book is as humorous as the others and I frequently had a smile on my face. I had heard about this horrible twist in the end so I was nervous about the ending. However, when the twists came, I was not upset. I didn't love the twist, but I could also live with it. I think my imagination worked overtime so when the twists came, I was thinking... "is that it? Oh no problem!" :)

I give this audio 4 stars and as before I highly recommend this series on audio. If you weren't already a Lorelei King fan, this series on audio will make you one quickly.

Crafts
As promised here is the other teardrop sling for the little girl on my holiday list. This one is by RLR Creations and comes in multiple sizes. This one is the small. I'm going to try a medium size next. 
Click to enlarge pic

24 comments:

  1. Absolutely! This one was a bit different, a bit confined, less funny than the others, but it was still Charley! And Reyes. And I could see so clearly how she was setting up things for a spin off. I look forward to it, but I'll be very sad to lose these two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love a spin off but we cannot lose Charley and Reyes.

      Delete
  2. Hellhounds and a pregnant leading lady - sounds intriguing even if it didn't pack such a punch as the others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charley is so hit or miss with me. Sometimes I love her, sometimes I think she couldn't be more stupid. Love Reyes, though! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is always a hit with me. I never thought her stupid, but I do like her kind of humor... LOL

      Delete
  4. I need to get caught up on this series Melissa! Charley and Reyes are pregnant?! I've missed way too much! And that sling is adorable:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes I really enjoyed this one, this series is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm behind on this series, gah! I have book seven sitting on my kindle but for some reason I can't bring myself to start it yet. I think because I devour them and I don't want to have to wait months for book nine LOL!
    Glad this series is still going strong, not that I doubted it would for a minute. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh but you need to read this series. You will devour it once you start. :D

      Delete
  7. That sling is cute!

    I love libraries. Mine used to get me books even if I think I'm the only one who's going to read it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sling is adorable. You are so talented. As for the series I love it. I am reading the series but plan to eventually listen to them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sling is adorable. You are so talented. As for the series I love it. I am reading the series but plan to eventually listen to them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't been able to get into this series but I definitely need to try it on audio. So glad it's been working out for you, Melissa! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hold up, you made that sling? Wow, it's SUPER cute. I need to read 8th Grave still, but I'm soooo looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did not see that twist coming and I loved the fact that we finally got to see Mr. Wong talk! Very cute sling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad to find another fellow fan of Ms. Jones! I honestly can read anything this woman puts out. I was late in the bandwagon, but I'm really glad I found her when Charley's books are all out except for one. I need to check out that audiobook, because a lot of bloggers are a big fan of Lorelie King.

    Also, nifty sling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I still have only read one. I really need to get back into it :)I am glad you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!