Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Early Review: Taste of Darkness (Healer #3) by Maria V. Snyder


Series: Healer #3
400p.
Publisher: Harlequin MIRA
Published date: 12/31/13
Source: From publisher and NetGalley for review
She's fought death and won. But how can she fight her fears? 
Avry knows hardship and trouble. She fought the plague and survived. She took on King Tohon and defeated him. But now her heart-mate, Kerrick, is missing, and Avry fears he's gone forever. 
But there's a more immediate threat. The Skeleton King plots to claim the Fifteen Realms for his own. With armies in disarray and the dead not staying down, Avry's healing powers are needed now more than ever. Torn between love and loyalty, Avry must choose her path carefully. For the future of her world depends on her decision.
My thoughts:
I've reviewed the other two books, Touch of Power and Scent of Magic. Both were well done and I was excited for this book especially since the last book ended on a horrible cliffie. :P I also didn't know that this book was the last and so coming to the end of this book I was becoming horribly disappointed there would be another cliffie. I was wrong. *cheers*

The adventure is the same kind of harrowing always in trouble kind and even Tohon is making waves again. He wasn't as scary as he was in the last books, but if you read the last books you would know why. Still, he still was imposing enough to make you wonder if our heros can get out of their predicament. There are new villains (and a few old ones) but none like the Skeleton King. Oh yea, he was adequately horrifying.

The ending is a bit too easy in some ways, but in others I would say it couldn't have ended much differently. It just seemed that some things were just a little too easily and suddenly dispatched. I think the only way to handle that would be another book, but then you would wonder if it was just dragging out the inevitable. So, while I don't know what would have been perfect, the ending was written well enough that I was satisfied. I guess that is all you can ask. :)

I give this book 4 stars. I enjoyed my time with these characters especially the monkeys, Flea, Poppa Bear and, of course, Avry and Kerrick. I recommend this series to those that enjoy YA fantasy.

29 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this conclusion, Melissa! I loved Snyder's Poison Trilogy and haven't tried her other works yet, but I plan to. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still need to read the Poison Trilogy. I plan to read that one! :)

      Delete
  2. I really liked the first two but haven't read this one yet (even though it's sitting on my Kindle...I actually think I forgot about it. This is why I make lists!). Sounds like that ending was a bit too easy but I'll be interested to spend time in the world and with the characters again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have lists too. :) It was a bit easy, but still satisfying. :)

      Delete
  3. I've been looking forward to this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I think you'll enjoy this one. I'm about to dive into the Spider! :D Odd that I'm excited about saying that (spiders are scary! LOL). :)

      Delete
    2. Cool. Hope you enjoy the book. Happy reading!

      Delete
  4. I never did finish this series, she had a few too many TSTL moments for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She grew so much throughout the series so it worked for me. :)

      Delete
  5. This is why I always cheat and read the end first Melissa, I have to know if there's going to be a cliffhanger so I can mentally prepare! So glad that this final book wraps everything up nicely (if a touch too easily) and doesn't leave you questioning things. I still need to read a book by this author. I fail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I try not to cheat. I like to be surprised even though I usually end up cussing the book if it is a cliffie. :)

      Delete
  6. I was really disappointed with book 2 and I hope this one makes up for it. Too bad the ending was too easily tied up though but I think the cast of characters make up for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll still like it. Oh that second one an the ending! :P

      Delete
  7. Intrigued by your mention of monkeys - for some reason I'm thinking of them as being like the ones in the Wizard of Oz. Great cover as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still haven't read anything by Snyder even though I have several of her books sitting on my shelf.

    Blogger problems lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I know! You have no idea how many books I still have to read.

      Delete
  9. Sooo jealous you read this already! I adore this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, with the books you get that I get jelly of... we can do a jelly swap. :D

      Delete
  10. I love her poison series (is it the same name in English?) and I confess I still need to read book 3 in it but I have it. But I also should try other books, I'm just so behind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! The Poison series (I still need to read that!). So I'm behind too. :D

      Delete
  11. I'm glad you were satisfied with the ending to this series. I'm behind in this series, but meaning to catch up, and it's so nice to know that there will be a solid ending (even if it comes about too easily). Wonderful balanced review Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I have the first book in the series and I might try it. It does sound delightful but not quite up my alley. I am so torn.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hehehe, after all the cliffy-endings this conclusion couldn't help but just be ok..LOL I think I have book one on my nook..lovely review Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't wait to read this and see what happens! I just love this series and I'll be sad to see it end.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you loved the ending Melissa, I have this series on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree about the easy ending, but I still couldn't help but love it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've only read this author's sci-fi duology, but I can't wait to read more. I'm not a fan of easy, too neat endings, but everything else sounds great.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!