Sunday, October 10, 2010

Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Hush, HushFrom Goodreads:
For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her...until Patch comes along. 
With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment, but after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is far more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel. 
For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.
Having heard some bad reviews of this book, I was curious. Curiouser even more so since Crescendo also came my way for a review. Since I didn't have the book, off to the library I went. Didn't mind. I do have cover love for the book.

At first, I really didn't see the problem with Patch. He was brash, annoying, and he loved to embarrass Nora with Innuendos. Eh, not really a problem for me. Didn't see him as dangerous as people were painting him. Just too cocky for a young girl not knowing how to handle it. Yes, I did see him as being too old for him, but not in the numerical sense. More in the sense of experience. It was obvious to me even early on that Patch was more worldly than Nora and I thought maybe that is where the creep factor was affecting so many. Well, as the story evolves I find a small line that Patch crosses. (spoiler alert highlight to see) He manipulates her into going on a ride and then intentionally scares her. He then is her only ride home suddenly. Hmm... Well, then he crosses a HUGE line. (spoiler alert, highlight to see) He forces his way into her home. Okay. That was it. He went from uncomfortable red-yellow light (which I personally would have hoped she'd put an end to it there) to huge red light in one fell swoop. After that, I admit I skimmed a few pages until we come to the conclusions of who was really trying to kill Nora. And unfortunately, those surprises really were obvious even with my skimming.

Okay, I get that she is nieve, and it has a sort of a HEA. Yet, some of those disturbing things are really left without conscience. Left without Patch taking full responsibility for his behavior. To me, there was no real attonement in him. I also have a few other more minor things that bugged me that probably wouldn't have so much if the former was not present. So, that is all I will say on that. Therefore, I will unfortunately give this book with the awesome cover 2 stars.

9 comments:

  1. Yup! Exactly. Patch is super creepy. And selfish. I really didn't believe the end, that he would give up being human for Nora.

    The whole story just didn't make sense. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I trust your reviews so much more now! (I had many problems with Hush, Hush and could not figure out why so many people were raving about it.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww... I kinda really liked the book. Yes, there were questionable parts and whatnot, and yes, it wasn't at all what I was expecting, but I did quite like it.

    But doesn't it have awesome cover art? I think that is what really made me think that the story was going to go in a completely opposite way.

    And I totally just ordered "Crescendo", so hopefully it turned out to be better!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, nice honest review. I ended up liking this one, but it had to do with me reading Fallen at the same time and that one was bad

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Missie. Yes, the ending was a bit unbelievable for me as well.

    @Asenath... lol remember that next time we disagree on a review. ;)

    @ Avery... We all come to a book from a different place. So I wouldn't expect everyone to agree with me. I'm sure there will be disagreement with my next review. :)

    @ Blodeuedd I haven't read Fallen. I've heard mixed reviews about that one too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think someone likes bad boys.... I agree with you on many points, foremost being that amazing cover. Have you seen the model for him? HOT!!!!

    Srsly - for the sake of argument, how popular would this book have been if it had a mediocre cover?

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL... you mean me? Actually, I don't. :) I think the appeal of the bad boy is more about confidence. And the bad boy is all about faking that confidence. Yes, I'm sure that makes you more curious now... ;D

    That is a good question you pose. We all seem to agree on the cover. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Meliss i totally agree and the confidence and the spoiler part. But in crescendo he lightens up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!