Monday, August 21, 2017

Reincarnation Blues by Michael Poore

Standalone
384 p.
Publisher: Del Ray Books
Published: 8/22/17
Source: Publisher and NetGalley for review
A magically inspiring tale of a man who is reincarnated through many lifetimes so that he can be with his one true love: Death herself. 
What if you could live forever—but without your one true love? Reincarnation Blues is the story of a man who has been reincarnated nearly 10,000 times, in search of the secret to immortality so that he can be with his beloved, the incarnation of Death. Neil Gaiman meets Kurt Vonnegut in this darkly whimsical, hilariously profound, and wildly imaginative comedy of the secrets of life and love. Transporting us from ancient India to outer space to Renaissance Italy to the present day, is a journey through time, space, and the human heart.
My thoughts:

The blurb made me curious and I also wanted to see how the worldbuilding would play out in this story since so many cultures have a form of reincarnation within it's mythology narrative. While it was an interesting story, it did not really follow any specific religious views which I think was a good thing. However, it also touched so lightly on various cultural views it ended up not really having one of it's own and I'm not totally sure it was purposeful in doing that. Most people will not come to this story for that specific cultural view so this will be a minor niggle to most but I personally wanted it to go a bit deeper. Personal preference only but I also was glad it didn't so it didn't become preachy or religious at all.

I wasn't quite certain what the theme of the book was as he was continually pushed for "perfection" or enlightenment (which I think was interchangeable here) but it was never truly defined and he did find perfection within imperfection (say that 3 times fast). The romance was actually quite light in this book and was really the motivation for our hero to achieve perfection. The timeline flows back and forth through time with historical characters we know and futures we have yet to experience. It was an interesting journey and his lifetimes were interesting within itself. The ending is satisfying as is the epilogue but it does pose a philosophical question which I will not reveal since it would end up being a spoiler. You'll just have to see if you feel the same. *evil laugh*

I would have also liked to have followed "death" or Suzie more and I think that would have made the romance stronger. It was not strong within the story as most would expect but I did believe it and rooted for both of them to be together.

I give this book 3 stars. I did enjoy the fantasy of many lifetimes and even though I would have liked a stronger and more depth to the worldbuilding and romance I still found our hero Milo's journey to be interesting in how he learned and grew.

🌟

43 comments:

  1. I didn't know about this one but it's true that it was an interesting topic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. dunno really about this one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't the kind of fantasy you usually pick up, but you might library book it.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like there was some good and some bad with this. Glad you did like it though even if it wasn't all it could have been. ;) Wonderful honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read a couple reincarnation stories and for whatever reason it just isn't an element that grabs me even though I love time travel stories and reincarnation isn't far off from it.
    Glad it had some draw for you even if it left you wanting more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read many of these kind of stories so I guess I get curious. :)

      Delete
  5. Hmm. Interesting. Not a bad read but something different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting concept, but I am not sure if this would be something I would enjoy. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may appeal to you more since I wanted more mythology in the worldbuilding. It is light enough otherwise.

      Delete
  7. I'm not sure with this one since there's only a little romance but I do find the concept really intriguing. Great review Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The romance is the motivating factor in it all so you might find it more romantic than I did.

      Delete
  8. I just love that cover. So appealing. I'm kinda conflicted on this one because the plot sounds so quirky? But it's definitely unique. I can see maybe reading it at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that was my problem. I love quirky but it didn't fit for me as much as it may for others.

      Delete
  9. Interesting concept.

    I wouldn't want to keep being reincarnated if I couldn't have love. Especially 10,000 times! lol

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  10. some say yes some say no. Have to say that doing it 10,000 would be a little dreary? But I would still borrow it, need to experience this for myself yeh

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm, I was hoping we got Deaths pov, since the blurb makes it sound like he is doing this to be with her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this is truly an unique concept. Not sure that it's one I would pick up, but it definitely sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This concept sounds super intriguing and the cover is very eye-catching as well :) Sounds like a fun read, so maybe I'll pick it up myself some time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Even though it wasn't perfect, at least it was interesting. I havent heard of this one so it was nice to discover something new.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooo I'm actually super curious about it. I think it's cool that it goes into the future too. Is that right?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very unique premise, but it's not one for me I don't think. The whole thing about a person being literally death and he's supposed to love her? And not ever being with her after 10,000 times? No, not for me. Very honest review! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is more nuanced than that and you would love the ending... all I will say. ;)

      Delete
  17. It does seem like the romance would be stronger, but I have to say I'm still fairly curious about this one. Thanks for sharing!!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the motivating factor... but I wanted more. I think you may like it. Would love to know what you think!

      Delete
  18. Not sure about picking this one up but I'm glad that it didn't feature any particular culture/religion. Just wished it dug a bit deeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I have a feeling you would feel as I did, but it was an interesting read.

      Delete
  19. This book sounds quite interesting! I am pleased that you enjoyed it despite a few issues.

    A lovely review! Sharon - Obsession with Books

    ReplyDelete
  20. So pretty good but not quite there. It does sound interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think others would be less critical than me. :) Still was a decent read.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!