Wednesday, May 10, 2017

On My Wishlist: Black Bird of the Gallows and The Girl in the Tower

Oh have a couple that have caught my eye lately...

Black Bird of the Gallows
by Meg Kassel
300 p.
Published: 9/5/17
Publisher: Entangled
A simple but forgotten truth: Where harbingers of death appear, the morgues will soon be full. 
Angie Dovage can tell there’s more to Reece Fernandez than just the tall, brooding athlete who has her classmates swooning, but she can’t imagine his presence signals a tragedy that will devastate her small town. When something supernatural tries to attack her, Angie is thrown into a battle between good and evil she never saw coming. Right in the center of it is Reece—and he’s not human. 
What's more, she knows something most don't. That the secrets her town holds could kill them all. But that’s only half as dangerous as falling in love with a harbinger of death.
I love that cover! 



The Girl in the Tower
by Katherine Arden
Series: The Bear and the Nightingale #2
352 p.
Published: 1/9/18
Publisher: Del Rey

The magical adventure begun in The Bear and the Nightingale continues as brave Vasya, now a young woman, is forced to choose between marriage or life in a convent and instead flees her home—but soon finds herself called upon to help defend the city of Moscow when it comes under siege.
Orphaned and cast out as a witch by her village, Vasya’s options are few: resign herself to life in a convent, or allow her older sister to make her a match with a Moscovite prince. Both doom her to life in a tower, cut off from the vast world she longs to explore. So instead she chooses adventure, disguising herself as a boy and riding her horse into the woods. When a battle with some bandits who have been terrorizing the countryside earns her the admiration of the Grand Prince of Moscow, she must carefully guard the secret of her gender to remain in his good graces—even as she realizes his kingdom is under threat from mysterious forces only she will be able to stop.
I enjoyed the first book so I'm curious about this one! 

🌟

Also, don't forget Audiobook Sync's freebie this week. Last day (5/10) for Feed by M.T. Anderson and The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglass Adams. Tomorrow you can get Bronx Masquerade by Nikki Grimes and Teenage Diaries: Then and Now by Radio Diaries.

63 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love both these covers so thanks for putting them on my radar! I've been meaning to read The Bear and the Nightingale for awhile now, so thanks for reminding me that Book 2 is on its way! I definitely need to bump Book 1 up my TBR. Wonderful post, Melissa! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book 1 was good and I hope you enjoy. I do love that raven on the first book and that is what caught my eye!

      Delete
  2. These both look really good, I hope you end up loving them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've heard of either of these. Thanks for sharing! I've heard good things about The Bear and the Nightingale, so I hope you like the second book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool intro books I would probably read both if i have the time

    ReplyDelete
  5. Black Bird of the Gallows looks awesome

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not familiar with these, but they do look intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second one is a second book and that one was good. :)

      Delete
  7. Such a lovely cover. I am glad to see a sequel, I really enjoyed the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! I'm very much looking forward to The Girl in the Tower. I never heard of the first book but my interest is piqued.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both look good but Black Bird of the Gallows is yelling at me :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had not idea about the first one, but that does sound fab. And I still have Bear and Nightingale on my shelf so I need to get busy. Good picks, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cover on the first one is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yikes Black Bird of the Gallows! Sounds good and the cover- nice and dark. :) And The Girl in the Tower looks interesting, especially with the Russia setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the first book of the Girl in the Tower and it was good so I want the second one.

      As for Black Bird... I know, right? :D

      Delete
  13. Black Bird of the Gallows sounds awesome! Wondering if Net Galley is going to get it. Thanks for sharing because I hadn't heard of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope that you will enjoy both of them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have the audio of Bear and the Nightingale. I started it and stopped as it wasn't pulling me in. I think it was me and plan to try again. Love the cover for book 2.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It always amazes me the power a book cover can have.

    Looking at the two books you feature it, it is the first book that spoke to me and yet having read the synopsis it is The Girl In The Tower that most appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, the cover always gets to me but then again, I am drawn to artwork period. :)

      I think you'd like the first book of Bear and the Nightingale.

      Delete
  17. I hadn't heard of either of these books (though I had heard of the first tBatN book. But that first one is now on my wishlist, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hadn't heard of either of those books.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those look super interesting. I haven't read The Bear and the Nightingale yet but it's on my list! Did you enjoy the first one? Definitely seems up my alley.
    Rebecca @ The Portsmouth Review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I really liked the first one so that is why I want the second book. :)

      Delete
  20. I love that they do the Sync freebies in the summer. I hope you are able to get your books and enjoy them.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, Black Bird of the Gallows sounds super intriguing, must add it to my TBR! And I haven't read The Bird and the Nightingale yet, so I'll have to check that one out first!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I didn't realize there was going to be a follow-up to The Bear and the Nightingale. I tried to read the first one earlier this year and was so excited about it. I wanted to love it so much but ended up DNFing it. *sigh*

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, darn. I notice that book isn't for everyone. I do think it took me a bit to really get into the book though.

      Delete
  23. I'm yet to read The bird and the Nightingale but man that cover is so haunting and gorgeous!! Great picks Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. These both sound interesting! I hope you get to enjoy them!

    Naomi @ Naomi’s Reading Palace

    ReplyDelete
  25. OH MY GOD. These books are good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!