Monday, May 1, 2017

Follow Me down by Sherri Smith

Standalone Thriller
352 p.
Publisher: Forge Books
Published: 3/28/17
Source: From publisher for review
Mia Haas has built a life for herself far from the North Dakota town where she grew up, but when she receives word that her twin brother is missing, she’s forced to return home. Once hailed as the golden boy of their small town, Lucas Haas disappeared the same day the body of one of his high school students is pulled from the river. Trying to wrap her head around the rumors of Lucas’s affair with the teen, and unable to reconcile the media’s portrayal of Lucas as a murderer with her own memories of him, Mia is desperate to find another suspect. 
All the while, she wonders, if he’s innocent, why did he run? 
As Mia reevaluates their difficult, shared history and launches her own investigation into the grisly murder, she uncovers secrets that could exonerate Lucas—or seal his fate. In a small town where everyone’s history is intertwined, Mia will be forced to confront her own demons, placing her right in the killer’s crosshairs.
My thoughts:

I have to admit I didn't like Mia for half of the book. I didn't connect to her and she kept making stupid mistakes. Then she had to complicate those mistakes with prescription drug abuse. I just kept wondering why she was making it harder for her brother to exonerate himself if he was innocent. If he was guilty, she seemed to be throwing away the key to any sort of fair trial. It was frustrating.

Then the middle of the book happened and I just became swept up into the thriller aspect of the book. I really became interested and invested in the outcome. I wanted to know who killed this girl and why so many things happened. Parts were still disconnected for me, but it no longer mattered... I had to know who done it.

There were several twists and turns in the book and things became clearer despite Mia's bungling. It also became more harrowing and while I did fall for the red herrings, I did suspect that the true culprit had something to do with the murder. It was an interesting ride.

I give this book 3 stars. If you stick with this one (and not everyone who reviewed it felt the same as I did about the beginning), there is a good payoff in the end. I am curious about this author now and I would read another thriller by her.

💊

58 comments:

  1. Sounds like a maybe book or not

    ReplyDelete
  2. This happens to me too when in the beginning I have a hard time with the plot or a character then something happens and the book is a page turner! Thanks for sharing your great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm an ending girl so I don't mind a slow beginning but I wish it would have picked up slightly before the middle.

      Delete
  3. Usually as long as I know it will pay off in the end, I'm okay with a sow or shaky start. Great review for this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love that cover. I'm glad you had a good payoff for sticking with it.

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh. I feel like I'm not going to be as generous with Mia as you were. But I'm glad you persevered and gave her leniency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was more of the disconnect that bothered me more than anything else. Her stupid mistakes actually make sense for the character even if it was annoying.

      Delete
  6. I think I will pass. I cant stand characters like Mia. I want a good payoff as well. I have read some great thrillers lately. Hopefully your next will be epic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. It did actually make sense and I think that is why the disconnect bothered me more.

      Delete
  7. I'm a huge scaredy-cat, so I tend to very rarely read thrillers, and when I do, it's only the most insanely high-rated and most recommended books. So I shall probably skip this one, and I appreciate you sharing your thoughts :D

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is dark, but not scary. I'm a total wimp with these things and I wasn't at all scared to turn off the light at night while reading the book. :)

      Delete
  8. That's great that you'd read another book by the author. It sounds like a good one - once you get pass the beginning and Mia's annoying-ness. lol

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! True. I think once I got to the middle I could really see this author's potential.

      Delete
  9. Glad to hear the last half picked up for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was good that you persevered as you would have missed out on what turned out to be not bad a story after all. Tanks for sharing. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not loving Mia, but you have me curious about the thriller. Mayhaps this is an author to watch for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't end up loving her either, but I did like her by the end. :)

      Delete
  12. I've had a few thrillers lately where the payoff makes the journey worth it (sometimes barely lol) or where the MC is unlikable. that seems to be the latest thing. :) Glad this one was mostly good- it does have an interesting premise.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a bit of a quitter of the book doesn't grab me, haha. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made me curious within the mystery so I had to know whodoneit. LOL

      Delete
  14. I am not big on main characters that bungle everything unless it's a comedy and even then it has to be well done. And authors that use main characters mistakes to move the story along isn't a plus for me either. Not sure I would have stuck with it but I am glad you ended up liking the thriller aspects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's not quite that kind of bungling and there is a reason (no reason bugs me to no end) so I think that is why I could continue. :)

      Delete
  15. She does sound irritating, but it does speak well of the book that the other elements pulled you end and kept you reading. I'll keep it in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't necessarily mind characters like Mia in this type of story, unless it's completely ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds like a great thriller and often, the second half of a book can really make it for me, even if the first half isn't a 5-Star read. Thanks for putting this on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah complicated about this one. Sorry it didn't deliver much

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't usually read a lot of thrillers (I should read more), but I like the premise of this one, so I'll keep it in mind! And also good to know that if I don't like the beginning, I just need to stick with it a bit because the payoff is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, you have to stick with it. You may not have as much problem as I did in the beginning as well. :)

      Delete
  20. A good payoff in the end is usually enough to keep me going! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh man. Hard when a character rubs you wrong. But the thriller side sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I haven't heard of this one so now I'm curious! I kind of like the cover too - gives me a Rapunzel feel! But down where - the rabbit hole?
    Rebecca @ The Portsmouth Review
    Follow me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not Rapunzel.... it is quite creepy when you get the meaning... :)

      Delete
  23. I'm glad this book was able to win you over in the end. I can't read horror because of my wussy tendencies, but I wish I could. LOL I used to be able to years ago, but not now.

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really isn't horror at all, but the mystery and thriller aspects are a bit dark.

      Delete
  24. I really enjoy a good Thriller especially with a twist.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds interesting. I love a good thriller. I really don't read enough of them. Great review.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sometimes characters just don't work for us. Oh well. Glad the suspense was awesome though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, but in a way I don't think she was supposed to work, so that is good... I think. LOL

      Delete
  27. I'm intrigued now but main characters doing way too stupid stuff annoys me to no end. But the thriller aspect of the book might be worth it :) Great review Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like the thriller aspect. I agree with the annoying stuff. :)

      Delete
  28. nooo you gave this 3 stars, that sucks.. but I see why.. and I think i would have the same issues >.<

    ReplyDelete
  29. Considering the slow start and dumb decisions, it seemed to be a good read. Great review!

    Naomi @ Naomi’s Reading Palace

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!