Friday, July 25, 2014

Doghouse by L. A. Kornetsky

Series: Gin and Tonic Mystery #3
288p.
Publisher: Pocket Books
Published: July, 22, 14
Source: From publisher for review
In the third novel in the entertaining (Library Journal) Gin & Tonic mystery series, the stakes are raised when Ginny Mallard and Teddy Tonica stumble on an underground dog fighting ring with bloody consequences. 
Even though she's unlicensed as an investigator, the infamously nosy Ginny Mallard has begun to make a name for herself as an unofficial champion of the tongue-tied. When a mysterious stranger comes to her with landlord trouble, she convinces her bartender friend Teddy Tonica to help her once more. Soon, they realize they might have got themselves tied up in an underground dogfighting ring. With the help of Ginny's pet shar-pei puppy and Tonica's tabby cat, they have to figure out what's going on before someone else gets hurt. Will twelve legs really be better than four?
My thoughts:
This is the third book, but you don't need to read them to start this book. While you might have missed some details about the main characters, the mystery is complete within this book. So it can be read as a standalone.

The mystery actually plods along and you are wondering exactly what you are dealing with in the mystery. You know it has to do with puppies and some illegal activity but no real clues are produced until the end. Even then the mystery doesn't quiet seem clear. The ending is quite messy but complete. It actually feels more realistic and as if in real life it would happen that way. While the story line for the humans seems to be slow, the inner dialog with the animals (yes, you get inside their heads) was quite entertaining. I would have loved to see more involvement with the animals even though they couldn't directly communicate with their humans.

I give this book 3 stars. I recommend it to those that really like animals and cozy mysteries.

19 comments:

  1. I started one earlier this week where it was the pup talking to the reader introducing the storyline and what was going to happen. Threw me a little but then I actually really liked it. I'll have to hunt down a copy of book one in the series :) Thanks Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sounds like a good one. Now you have me curious. :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds so much fun and what a great cover.. I love the inner idea of the inner dialogue between the animals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd definitely want more animal POVs, especially if that was the best part! I enjoy the quirkiness of cozies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was cute. I think I may need to check out the other 2.

      Delete
  4. Love books with animals Melissa! Provided those animals don't get hurt in any way, that I can't deal with. That doesn't seem to be the case with this one though:) Yay animal POVs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. While this didn't completely wow you..that cover made me giggle and smile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not really a fan of cozy mysteries but I'm a sucker for animal stories :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cozy mysteries aren't really my thing, but I'm glad you sort of enjoyed it! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure this is exactly my cup of tea but it seems really cute and I'm glad to see you enjoyed it, Melissa! Great review, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure how I would feel about the animal part but the cover is so cute! Despite some points I'm glad itwas ok in a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A puppy mystery? How stinking cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad to hear you can start without having read the first books! That cover is adorable and hilarious. I almost want to pick it up for that reason alone. I do like cozy mysteries and I love the sound of the animals' inner dialog. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that cover. And sounds like a cute read. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!