Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Audio Review: Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor


Series: Daughter of Smoke and Bone #3
18hrs. 11min.
Narration: Khristine Hvam
Publisher: Hachette Audio
Available Now
Source: tbr pile
In this thrilling conclusion to the Daughter of Smoke & Bone trilogy, Karou is still not ready to forgive Akiva for killing the only family she's ever known. 
When a brutal angel army trespasses into the human world, Karou and Akiva must ally their enemy armies against the threat--and against larger dangers that loom on the horizon. They begin to hope that it might forge a way forward for their people. And, perhaps, for themselves--maybe even toward love. 
From the streets of Rome to the caves of the Kirin and beyond, humans, chimaera, and seraphim will fight, strive, love, and die in an epic theater that transcends good and evil, right and wrong, friend and enemy.
My thoughts:
I had read the first 2 books and when I got a chance I decided to try this one on audio. I would love to hear the first two read now. Khristine does a remarkable job and I loved the different inflection she gave to the characters. My favorite was Zuzana and I now can't hear her voice in any other way. :)

All your answers to any questions you have are solved in this book. There are even minor threads that have their conclusions. While for some this might feel like overkill, to me this was wonderful since you become so immersed into this world with Laini Taylor's writing. Her writing is as lyrical as the first two books and the world felt quite real to me. I enjoyed listening to it this time around... even for 18 hrs. :)

I think my only thing I can say about the audio is that because of the lush language it made it harder to do mundane things while listening to the book. The mind may wander and I didn't want to miss a second of the book. I didn't want any distractions.

I give this audiobook 4 stars. If you want to try fantasy but just don't know where to start, I would say to try this series. Even if you didn't love it as much as I did, I do think you would enjoy your time with this trilogy.

24 comments:

  1. I love this series. I was a bit disappointed with this installment b/c I didn't get the resolution I wanted, but at the same time, I'm glad Taylor left the door open to come back to this world. I glad you liked the audio version. Great review, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy with the resolution, but that often isn't the case with ending books with me. :) Still glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  2. I still haven't read the second book even though I own it. I wasn't all that crazy about book 1, but I'm sure I'll think more highly of the next two. I might just go with the audio for book 3.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did like the first book and I do hope you enjoy the other two. I'm guessing you might really like the second one of the 3. I do think you'd like the audio. I love the way she voiced Zuzanna.

      Delete
  3. Actually, I haven't read the second one of this yet, though it's sitting on my shelf. Why haven't I read it? I don't know!! But I need to read all of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you enjoyed this one Melissa! I liked that we got a lot of answers in this book, but I was a little put off by the fact that a whole new enormous thread was created and ultimately left dangling. That being said though, this series is still one of my all time favorites and I will be reading anything Laini Taylor writes in the future:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me it didn't dangle at all. For me it was just enough of an opening to let you know there was a future to be had even if we weren't a part of it all. I agree... I want to read the rest of her stuff.

      Delete
  5. I loved the first two books but I'm afraid to read this one. I've heard so many negative things about it.

    I bought it though so I'll be reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think that there was SO much going on (I mean 18 hrs!) that is why there was some neg comments on it. My guess anyway. Sometimes it was hard to keep up with everything.

      Delete
  6. I keep hearing amazing things about this series and I really need to try it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am listening to this one right now and about to start the third part. I agree it is hard to listen too if you aren't paying full attention, I am hopeful I will like the way it all pans out at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recently listened to this even though I'd already read it because i just love Khristine's voice - especially Zuzana! So glad you enjoyed this too! Lovely review :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You amazing me at how you are able to jump formats! I have to stick with one from beginning to end..LOL I will start this series on audio for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I have heard this whole series is amazing. Glad to hear you enjoyed this one! :D Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard that the audiobooks for this trilogy are phenomenal so when I'm in the mood for a re-read I'll have to find them on this format for sure. Fantastic review, Melissa--so glad you loved this one. I did too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved the first book but the next two are still sitting on my shelf. Which is pathetic and sad. Especially since I KNOW Laini (personally) and it's rather embarrassing. Maybe I should try it on audio. I know what you mean about needing to pay closer attention to some. I am listening to Murder of Crows and I need to pay closer attention than I did with the Elemental Assassins. I have to remind myself to pay attention once in awhile, which is weird.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad that the audio book worked so well for you. I love the idea of a brutal angel and what an amazing cover.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really need to try to get into this book. I read the first book and was not feeling it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Don't be mad at me Melissa, but...*gulps* I haven't read this series yet, but your review has definitely intrigued me! Anytime I pick them up from the library, I always get intimidated for some odd reason. Maybe I should try the audiobooks instead? Anyhow, I really want to see what I've been missing out on. Thanks for sharing and, as always, BRILLIANT review! <3

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been kind of wishy-washy about reading this trilogy. I think I have the first book, but haven't felt that strong urge to read it yet. So I'm glad you enjoyed the last book, because it gives me hope. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!