Monday, April 21, 2014

Far Gone by Laura Griffin

384p.
Publisher: Gallery Books
Published: 4/15/14
Source: Edelweiss and publisher for review
To save her only brother, Andrea Finch must face down a criminal mastermind, the FBI, and her own demons in this thrilling novel from the author of the bestselling Tracers series. 
Police detective Andrea Finch is a rising star in her department until a split-second decision derails her career. Disgraced and disillusioned, she's on leave from her job when she gets an urgent call from her younger brother. She'd prefer to ignore his latest plea for cash, but this time instinct tells her something is very wrong. Andrea's search for answers takes her to a dusty Texas border town where danger lurks in plain sight and nothing is quite what it seems. 
FBI agent Jon North is working undercover in west Texas investigating an unsolved murder that may be linked to a broader plot. But when the evidence points to Andrea&amp's brother, Jon finds that persuading the stubborn cop to help will be harder than cracking his toughest case. 
Andrea must find a way to do what's right while protecting her only sibling. As the clock ticks down on a deadly plot, Andrea and Jon race to confront a heartless killer who will stop at nothing to deliver a final, terrifying message.
 My thoughts:
I enjoy Laura Griffin's Tracer series and so I was quick to get this one for review. It has all the elements for a good romantic suspense and it also has a strong female lead. All are aspects to Laura Griffin's work I enjoy. The lead male character is alpha male with a strong protective streak, but he is also compassionate. They are both workaholics with romantic pasts that never quite worked. Sparks fly and both have to wade through their emotions to come to the conclusion that they don't want to be with any one else.

The mystery part wasn't so much a who done it, but more thriller type with a home grown terrorist. Andrea finds her brother mixed up in the whole thing which also makes her mixed up in Jon's case. A case he is virtually flying solo on since he has not convinced the FBI that his suspect is the correct one. Despite Jon not wanting Andrea involved, he finds that she is invaluable in getting the case solved and the FBI on the correct track.

I give this book 4 stars. The thriller part isn't something new, but still interesting. The romance is interesting in the way the two come together and they make a good match for the other. I don't know if this is a series, but I could see this book either be a standalone or part of a new series. I recommend it to those that enjoy romantic suspense and thrillers.

23 comments:

  1. Nice review :)
    But for me, hm, not really pulled in by the premise here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I like books like that even if I don't read a lot of them. I think I remember the name of the author... But well I'm curious to discover Andrea. Thanks for the discovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of this author's work before, but it sounds so interesting that I'll definitely have to give it a shot. Thanks for putting this on my radar, Melissa!(:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you give her a try. I think you'll like her writing.

      Delete
  4. I've never ready anything by Laura Griffin, but I do love romantic suspense, and this sounds like an interesting story! I'm glad there's a strong female lead and that the romance is interesting. Definitely adding this to my wish list, lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her books do go on a good sale from time to time. You might really enjoy her writing!

      Delete
  5. I haven't read many romantic suspense books, but the ones I have read, I've enjoyed, and this sounds like one I'd like too. That's the good thing about being relatively new to a genre--EVERYTHING is new and interesting ;) Thanks for bringing this one to my attention; I've not read anything by this author yet.

    Jessica @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to say, I knew that name but then you said Tracer series and, yeah. I do know her and enjoy her writing. Just not good when your brother's involved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Oh and I need to read that whole series. I've sort of skipped around and enjoyed what I have read in the Tracer series.

      Delete
  7. Good romantic suspense plus a strong female lead sounds like something that I could love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can go for romantic suspense and I definitely need recommendations as it's a really a popular genre for my library patrons. I'll check this one out, it sounds a fun read. Thanks, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy! I also have been enjoying romantic suspense. :)

      Delete
  9. Never read or never heard of anything by this author. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read anything by her in years but I enjoy the Tracer series.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't remember hearing/seeing anything about this book but it sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hm .. those protective alpha males can either be a good thing or a really bad thing for me. I haven't read a good mystery like this quite awhile, and I've heard this author is good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that this is more of a thriller, and I have enjoyed some of her Tracer series and need to pick up more!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds good, I think I have some of her books. Thanks Melissa.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!