Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Kingmakers (Vampire Empire #3) by Clay and Susan Griffith

A war to the death. 
Empress Adele has launched a grand crusade against the vampire clans of the north. Prince Gareth, the vampire lord of Scotland, serves the Equatorian cause, fighting in the bloody trenches of France in his guise as the dashing Greyfriar. But the human armies are pinned down, battered by harsh weather and merciless attacks from vampire packs. 
To even the odds, Adele unleashes the power of her geomancy, a fearsome weapon capable of slaughtering vampires in vast numbers. However, the power she expends threatens her own life even as she questions the morality of such a weapon. 
As the war turns ever bloodier and Adele is threatened by betrayal, Gareth faces a terrible choice. Their only hope is a desperate strike against the lord of the vampire clans—Gareth’s brother, Cesare. It is a gamble that could win the war or signal the final days of the Greyfriar. 
The Vampire Empire trilogy rushes to a heart-wrenching conclusion of honor and love, hatred and vengeance, sacrifice and loss.
I was so excited when this came in the mail for review. And with the anticipation, the book opens up with a bang. The war is on and Adele is leading the campaign against Cesare and his packs. In fact most of the book is about the war and Adele's growing power. The action is intense and the war has everything you expect... including political intrigue on both sides.

Since this was the last book of the trilogy I had to be curious as to how it would end. How would our couple, who is of a completely different species, who's nature is anathema to the other, work out? Would it? Yes, that question is answered and more. However, this brings me to my criticisms. The couple's tension seems to still be there, but the relationship to me just seemed to not hold the same intensity. The how question was answered too easily for what had gone on previously. Also, within Gareth and Greyfriar there was a lot of growth in this area, but the conclusion to his story just didn't match the ending. I was a bit confused by that and he just seemed fickle in the end when he was so certain not too long before. I have to admit, I was not a fan of the conclusion. Mostly because it created more questions and I wouldn't get those answers.

I give this book 3 stars. I do love this trilogy and despite my criticisms I would not have missed this last book for anything. I am curious as to where these authors will venture next. I would love to read it. Not only do I recommend this book to the people who love this trilogy, but I recommend the books to those that love fantasy, steampunk and a sweeping romance. Yep, both men and women should enjoy the stories here.
I was given this ARC by pyr and no compensation for my review was given.

13 comments:

  1. Glad to know you enjoyed this trilogy. But still, it is not calling my name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A series much loved by one of my good friends, I may well have to borrow this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's difficult when it's about the end. I'm sorry it disappointed you a little bit. I didn't remember it was a trilogy. I need to buy the first one to see how it is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a little trouble with the ending as well Melissa - the villains seemed to go down with relative ease, and then we were still left with the fact that Adele is human while Gareth is immortal. I feel like we could assume some things based on what Gareth says throughout, but I was still hoping we'd have a little more resolution there. Still, like you, I love this series and I did thoroughly enjoy this last book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flippin loved book one and enjoyed book two. I'm reading this right now and I'm struggling to get through it. Thank you for the review....must push on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did not want to say and spoil, but yes not a big fan of the end. Just cos it was not really an end

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is always a bit if a let doen when a series you love draws to end but does not leave you satisfied. Still, it is nice that you enjoyed the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am interested in this series - it looks differentr from anything else available!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, sorry you didn't like this one as much.i really love this series. It's as steampunk series that I can enjoy over and over! Thanks for sharing and being honest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, you and Blodeuedd, *shack my fist at you both* I do have the first book of this series sitting here and do want to get going on it. Sorry about the ending, you and Blodeuedd both. :) Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't even started this series. I have the first book, but have yet to start it. Too bad to know the series ends on a mediocre book. But I still want to read it, someday. I'm a bit over the vampire dystopian thing. Except The Immortal Rules.
    I have so many dystopians I haven't started. So little time, so many books.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, dear - it sounds like the ending did not match the excitement of the rest of the books. But it's encouraging that you like the series as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read this one yet but I loved the first two. I'm a little concerned because of the three star rating, but I'm still absolutely reading this one; I have to find out what happens.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!