Thursday, September 13, 2012

Defiant and Deception by Kris Kennedy

Defiant
A rogue knight and an enchanting renegade join forces to right old wrongs in award-winning author Kris Kennedy’s sizzling new medieval romance. 
A warrior with questionable intentions... 
Jamie Lost is the king’s most renowned commander, a fearless lieutenant ordered to kidnap an exiled priest before rebel forces close in. The mission is simple—until he meets a mysterious thief who will steal his quarry and then his heart. 
A lady of remarkable courage... 
Beautiful Eva is also seeking Father Peter, but she intends to protect him from a secret that could cost him his life. She senses that she, too, should fear Jamie—not just for his wickedly sharp sword and dangerously muscular body, but for the powerful longing he ignites within her. 
A secret that could overthrow the king. 
When a band of mercenaries abducts the priest, Jamie and Eva must form a volatile alliance. As civil war unfolds around them, they embark on an epic journey that betrays the truth about their hidden identities, their unexpected loyalties, and the simmering attraction that could seal their fates forever.
The publisher asked if I wanted to read Deception the second book in this series (and the review below) and I was happy to do it because I had the first one on my tbr! YaY! Look at me... *pats self on the back* I'm reading in order! Whee!

I have to admit, it took me a bit to get into the story because of the language, but that quickly passed once I started to get to know Eva a bit better. She is a strong heroine who is fiercely protective of a boy put in her charge, Roger. He is a teen now and they are in search of their benefactor who helped save them. Lots of politics and intrigue and truths to be discovered. Not just with Eva, but with the rough roguish hero, Jamie as well.

I have to say that although I enjoyed the adventure and the intrigue, I wasn't too happy when Eva and Jamie first started really acting on their emotions. I thought Jamie was a right arse and needed to be drop kicked. I didn't think that Eva should be swooning nor trusting someone who did not earn it. Although she didn't fully trust him, I still think it came too early. However, Jamie did win me over in the end and Eva became a stronger heroine for me as well.

I give this book 3 1/2 stars. I think the ending really made this story and I ended up enjoying all the characters and rooting for them in the end.
I bought this book for my own enjoyment.

Deception
A beautiful silk merchant and a dashing con man join forces in the second scorching medieval romance from Kris Kennedy. 
Breaking and entering to reclaim her corrupt late father's ledger comes surprisingly easily to Sophia Darnly. But is it mere coincidence that her misdeed unexpectedly reunites her with Kier, the outlaw lover who abandoned her years ago? Time has not erased Sophia from Kier's heart, nor tamed her fiery spirit. She boldly insinuates herself into Kier's plan for revenge, believing the ledger will ensure her survival. But Kier knows that with or without the ledger, she's as good as dead. 
Kier is a dangerous, intoxicating potion for Sophia, but he's on a mission of revenge, and can't allow even the woman he once loved to stop him. The danger mounts as they take on the leader of a powerful consortium who needs the fabled Darnly ledger—and all its damning details about the wealthiest merchants of England—to execute his nefarious plan. He also needs Sophia—the last witness to his scheme—dead. 
The coals of their rekindled passion burn hot as Sophia and Kier set their trap. But when the duo discovers they too are the targets of a deadly deception, the fate of their love, and of England itself, lies in the balance.
To me this book did not have the problems of the first. It read much smoother to me and the romance made more sense to me throughout even when Kier was being a jerk. The story is full of intrigue and adventure for both of our characters. It's quite complex and the mystery of who, what, when and how has many layers. It's like a historical thriller. It also does supply quite a bit of information throughout the book which makes the story feel overly complicated at times. That may turn off some readers but for others they will love the complications.

I also have to say that this book is not intertwined with the first. It is in fact it's own story taking place a few years later than the first. This book also is less politically minded than Defiant, even though politics ultimately plays into the solving of the mystery.

I recommend this to those that love mystery, thrillers and a complex historical romance. I really enjoyed the intrigue and the way the mystery unfolds itself is quite interesting. I give this book 4 stars.
I received this book from Pocket Books and no compensation for my review was given. 

13 comments:

  1. Wow I'm so proud of you darling! In order, it's amazing! It sounds like a nice series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a good series. And good on you for reading it in order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good but I'm afraid the covers, especially the one for Defiant, put me off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! You're reading in order! Woohoo! Well, hello muscle men! The first book sounds like a nice starter to an amazing new romantic series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I thought Jamie was a right arse and needed to be drop kicked."

    Hahahaha you have such a way with words Melissa, I love it:) I'm glad Jamie finally won you over in the end, and that book 2 didn't suffer from some of the issues you had with the first:) Maybe I should take a page from your book and read out of order, starting with book 2:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to know that the second book is stand-alone. I received Deception for review, but didn't read the first. Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! Thanks for so much for this review! Agghh! I havve been wanting to read these books! Now, I'm excited to read them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a great series for Kimba the Caffeinated Reviewer. Yeah for you high five reading books in order and x ing them off your TBR list! You rock! I like the cover on the first one better and like that the second sounds like it can be read as a stand alone since it is intertwined with the first!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhhh sexy Scots :D

    in order...what is this madness you speak of? Madness I say. Madness

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to see you enjoyed the second book more. :) Love the covers though... ;D

    ReplyDelete
  11. That second one sounds like it would be mighty hard to have a good outcome though it wouldn't be much of a romance if it didn't! Both sound good, though of course the man chest catches my eye on the first cover. Guess that's how they suck you into the series. And look at you reading in order. Good for you! Love the double reviews!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice reviews, and good that they can be read as stand alone books.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love feeding the fish ...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!