Friday, September 7, 2012

School's Out~ Forever (Maximum Ride #2) and Saving the World (Maximum Ride #3) by James Patterson


School's Out~ Forever (Maximum Ride #2), (The Fugitives #2)
Fourteen-year-old Maximum Ride and the other members of the "Flock"--Fang, Iggy, Nudge, Gasman and Angel--are just like ordinary kids--only they have wings and can fly. It seems like a dream come true--except that they're being hunted by half-human, half-wolf "Erasers" who can fly, too.

In Book 2 of the series, the Flock members are taken under the wing of an FBI agent and try to live "normal" lives by going to school, making friends--and continuing their relentless search for their parents. But the Erasers return, forcing the Flock to abandon their search and make their escape once again. The voice inside Max's head keeps telling her that it's up to her to save the world, but this is especially challenging to do when she is faced with her ultimate match: a newer and better version of herself, Maximum Ride II. Max's heart-stopping quest to investigate the mind-blowing mystery of her ultimate destiny continues in the scariest, strangest, and funniest James Patterson novel yet.
This book takes off where the last book ends. In this one, the flock are attacked and are forced to find a place for one of them to get medical treatment and recuperation. And despite the misgivings they stay and find a bit of solace. However, nothing lasts forever. The erasers seem to magically know where they are and new enemies are revealed. Now the question on Max's mind on how to save the world has a few more pieces, however, is it enough?

I was entertained with this addition to the series. I felt more attached to Max than in the previous book, but "the voice" always seemed to keep me at arms length. Also, within this story, the introduction to "Anne" and having a normal life totally perplexed me. While it's introduction may become clear later in this series, it just did't fit here. I just didn't fit at all with what we did know of the kids and what they had been through. Too much normal... waaayyy too quickly.

I give this book 3 stars. While I had a lot of misgivings within the story, it's far from over and it all may make total sense in the end.
I received this book from the publisher and no compensation for my review was given.

Saving the World (Maximum Ride #3), (The Fugitives #3)
In MAXIMUM RIDE: SAVING THE WORLD AND OTHER EXTREME SPORTS, the time has arrived for Max and her winged "Flock" to face their ultimate enemy and discover their original purpose: to defeat the takeover of "Re-evolution", a sinister experiment to re-engineer a select population into a scientifically superior master race...and to terminate the rest. Max, Fang, Iggy, Nudge, Gasman, and Angel have always worked together to defeat the forces working against them--but can they save the world when they are torn apart, living in hiding and captivity, halfway across the globe from one another?
In this action filled book we find out more about who is behind all the coming destruction and mayhem. We also find out more about the old enemies and find some unlikely allies. And in finding those allies, the flock splits up, each trying to find a way of saving the world from the evil scientists.

I have to say that in the beginning of this book, I wasn't totally on board with everything. In fact there were a couple of "what the...?" moments in plot twists. It really didn't make sense nor did it make sense in the end. However, this being a series, perhaps it will in the end? Hard to tell, but you could have taken those moments out and it would have made for a better book. After those moments and we are back on track, the book really picks up and it became much more entertaining to me.

Many questions are answered in this book, but many more are still needing to be answered. In fact, there are a few that pop up. But that occurs within a long running series such as this one. Many clues are still needed to see the whole picture.

The book has lots of "kid power" moments I think that the MG crowd would just love. Considering the oldest of the flock is 14, I think MG readers could really get a lot out of these books as well as the YA crowd. Perhaps even more so. There is violence, but nothing too graphic that you wouldn't see on tv. I give this book 3 1/2 stars and think despite the twisty moments that didn't make sense it was a good continuation of this series.
I received this book from the publisher and no compensation for my review was given.

11 comments:

  1. I'm curious about this "voice" - is it a voice of reason or an actual disembodied voice in her head? If the former, listen to it. If the latter, well, I'd be scared to listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if it's for me but it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just don't know if I could read J.P doing a YA series. I just like his gorey stuff (I don't like his straight fiction stuff either)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two great reviews. I confess I like the sound of Saving The World better than the first book or is it just that I'm influenced by your slightly higher score and the great cover?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hm. I haven't read anything by James Patterson, can you believe it? I feel like I can't really call myself a book blogger since I haven't:) I don't read too much MG, but I think this would be a fun series for my younger cousins who are really just now getting into reading. Thanks Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I saw the cover of the last book in this series, I thought: WTF have I missed?.
    Seriously? I mean, I have heard of these books before, but they never got the fullest attention. Have I missed anything awesome? After reading your review I have to say: Probably not! Pffff! Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have only read a couple of Patterson books, his writing is too simplistic for my taste and your reviews cement that I am not missing much, at least they are quick reads! Hope you have a fabulous weekend, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read this series but I have my friend Chayse review the last book for my blog. I don't think it's something that I would read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hm...does the library have them *goes to check*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm, thanks for the thoughts on these. I'm currently on the lookout for books for the kid. :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!