Sunday, September 25, 2011

Shadow Bound and Shadow Fall by Erin Kellison Mini Reviews


Description:
Death
Some people will do anything to avoid it. Even trade their immortal souls for endless existence.
Wraiths
Secretly, inexorably, they are infiltrating our world, sucking the essence out of unsuspecting victims with their hideous parody of a kiss.
Segue
Adam Thorne founded the Institute to study and destroy his monster of a brother, but the key to its success is held in the pale, slender hand of a woman on the run. There is something hauntingly different about Talia O’Brien, her unknowing sensuality, her uncanny way of slipping into Shadow.
Twilight
This is the place between life and what comes after - a dark forest of fantasy, filled with beauty, peril, mystery. And Talia is about to open the door.
I really enjoyed this PNR! There was a slightly different take to the fae and lots of philosophy in the book which I love. Erin takes the philosophy and makes it interesting and opens a door to further discussion on your own if you like, but keeps it light enough you don't feel overwhelmed to those that do not like to dive in that deep. It creates a perfect backdrop for the story.

Those that like romance will like this one although I have to say I didn't and don't like Adam, the main hero of this book. However, I still rooted for him throughout the book and wanted him to get the girl in the end. So, even if you don't like the hero, you will still enjoy the romance. Strange, but interesting, eh?

I give this book 4 stars! I recommend it for PNR fans and there is enough action for UF fans as well. It's dark but there is always a light on within them.


Description:
Sacrifice
Custo Santovari accepted pain, blood, even death, to save his best friend. But a man with all his sins just isn't cut out to be an angel.
Mystery
One moment he's fleeing Heaven; the next, he's waking up stark naked in Manhattan. In the middle of a war. Called there by a woman who's desperately afraid of the dark.
Shadow
It gathers around Annabella as she performs, filled with fantastic images of another world, bringing both a golden hero and a nightmare lover.
Wolf
He pursues her relentlessly, twisting her desires even as she gives herself to the man she loves. Because each of us has a wild side, and Annabella is about to unleash the beast.
In this book we get Custo, Adam's best friend as the main hero of the book. Now, this was a hero I really did like and rooted for as I did Adam in the first book. The fae are as dark as ever and created a new problem in the form of a shapeshifting "wolf".  I also enjoyed more of Erin's foray into the world of arts which is connected to shadow. She really brings the world of the arts to life within this action packed story. So, you know I was fully involved in the story!

I give this book 4 stars as well and again, I recommend it to PNR and UF fans alike. The world is dark but as before never devoid of light.

Below is a short vid of Giselle as a Wili (ghost) Grade Pas which plays a big part within the story. It's done by the Bolshoi Ballet:

15 comments:

  1. I'm a little picky with my PNR but these sound really good - I always like a bit of philosphy with my supernatural! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Philosophy is a great addition to any book, it might make even a PNR palattable. Giselle is one sad story and one great ballet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good series that has interesting take on fae and the paranormal. Great mini reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah you always have books I don't know about. I'm not a lot into PNR (I'm very difficult) but they sound nice !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a similar reaction to Adam Melissa! I wanted to like him more than I did but I was still rooting for him all the same. I haven't read book too, but I'm looking forward to Custo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, so is the story of Annabella modeled after Giselle? Interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh... I barely even care what the books are about, look at those covers!

    Anyways, 4 stars from you, Melissa?!? Well, I must check these out then! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Mel...I think you may really get into these. They are dark and have enough UF for you!

    @Anachronist... Giselle plays a big part in the second book!

    @Nic...I really enjoyed this take on the fae. Good romance for you too!

    @Melliane... I think you will like these. They are different.

    @Jenny...LOL I know! It just felt strange to not like him and root for him, but I enjoyed that it was such a dichotomy! You'll love Custo!

    @Stephanie... Yes and no. The ballet, especially the part I showed in the vid is HUGE in the story!

    @Avery... I really think you'd enjoy these. I think you'll like the way the fae are portrayed here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol, I like the button :) And great mini reviews.

    I could like them, I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have both of these here. And I want to read them. :) I love the sounds of them. So glad to see you enjoy them. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm slightly confused about the first one, LOL! The whole thing with Adam and not really liking him, but rooting for him nonetheless. You crack me up, Melissa! I think these actually sound good and I think I may give them a try. I do love your minis. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been skipping. I was afraid they be to much UF for my taste but after reading your review I will have to put them on my list..

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sound like a great book! I loved the book trailers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wha? How do you not like the hero but still enjoy the romance?

    I'm not much of a UF fan but I do my my PNR so if you think it fits the bill, I'll add them to my TBR. Thanks, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Since I love both PNR and UF, these will both be on my list now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!