Friday, January 8, 2010

"According to Jane" by Marilyn Brant

According To Jane
From the book: It begins one day in sophomore English class, just as Ellie Barnett's teacher is assigning Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice". From nowhere comes a quiet 'tsk' of displeasure. The target: Sam Blaine, the cute bad boy who's teasing Ellie mercilessly, just as he has since kindergarten. Entirely unbidden, as Jane might say, the author's ghost has taken up residence in Ellie's mind, and seems determined to stay there. Jane's wise and witty advice guides Ellie through the hell of adolescence and beyond, serving as the voice she trusts, usually far more than her own. Years and boyfriends come and go - sometimes a little too quickly, sometimes not nearly fast enough. But Jane's counsel is constant, and on the subject of Sam, quite insistent. Stay away, Jane demands. He is your Mr. Wickham. Still, everyone has something to learn about love - perhaps even Jane herself. And lately, the voice in Ellie's head is being drowned out by another, urging her to look beyond everything she thought she knew and seek out her very own, very unexpected, happy ending.

I had to continue my Jane Austen alternative literature spree. Since I had "According to Jane" on my iPod Touch through the Kindle app, it was easy. When I first spied this book I thought it was a YA book due to the description. The book surprised me as it was not. It was an adult book with adult scenes and situations. Ellie merely has Jane Austen helping her along as a very opinionated spirit guide. As you view Ellie's life you actually travel back and forth in time. Yes, occasionally, I would be a bit confused as to where you were in her life, but that was quickly resolved by reading a bit further. I can see why the author chose to do it this way as the juxtaposition of these timelines made the lesson more poignant. Even though the book ends on a expected note, it is still satisfying.

I think this is a good, quick read. If you love 80's music, this book is right up your alley since the author also pulls the characters around that musical theme. I gave the book 4 stars.

7 comments:

  1. I read one review about this book and they didn't like it. But your review makes me wonder. I may even try this one. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I thought this was YA too, which is why I haven't really considered it much. Your review makes me reconsider now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I have to admit, I may not have picked it up, but it was free for a limited time at Amazon for the Kindle app.

    I'm also glad I wasn't the only one who thought it was YA. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds interesting. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. interesting concept for the book. I will have to look at it.

    http://muse-in-the-fog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like fun with the 80's music references. I am such an 80's music person, I have been having a hard time getting past it.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds and look like a cute read. I love Pride and Prejudice! Great review, though I also thought it was YA. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!