Monday, May 13, 2019

Audiobook Review: Starry Eyes by Jenn Bennett


Standalone
Unabridged
Published: April 3, 18
Publisher: Tantor Audio
Narrator: Amy Melissa Bentley
Length: 11 hrs. 23 min.
Source: Hoopla/Library


Ever since last year’s homecoming dance, best friends-turned-best enemies Zorie and Lennon have made an art of avoiding each other. It doesn’t hurt that their families are the modern day, Californian version of the Montagues and Capulets. 
But when a group camping trip goes south, Zorie and Lennon find themselves stranded in the wilderness. Alone. Together.
What could go wrong? 
With no one but each other for company, Zorie and Lennon have no choice but to hash out their issues via witty jabs and insults as they try to make their way to safety. But fighting each other while also fighting off the forces of nature makes getting out of the woods in one piece less and less likely. 
And as the two travel deeper into Northern California’s rugged backcountry, secrets and hidden feelings surface. But can Zorie and Lennon’s rekindled connection survive out in the real world? Or was it just a result of the fresh forest air and the magic of the twinkling stars?
My thoughts:

I have to admit that by now I think I will read or listen to anything Jenn Bennett writes. Another good YA romance book and I am smitten with the characters. It also has some excellent (and one not so excellent... but that was intentional) secondary characters. I especially love her adopted grandparents and her mom (oh the way they are all together!). Also, I have to note that the cast was eclectic and that made me love this book even more.

It also has everything you want in a YA. It does have sex in the book, but it is handled well and is geared toward older YA. It also has bad decisions and miscommunication as you often expect in a friends to hate to love romance, but it is handled well. The drama is well placed and makes sense. It enhances the book and gives them reason to know each other again. This is a contemporary romance you should try if you haven't already.

The narrator is now my voice for Bennett's YA. I hope she does more books as the author writes them. I wouldn't hesitate to pick another with her narration.

I give this book 4 1/2 stars. If you shy away from YA contemporary romance, give this one a try. It is as well written as her other works and this author has a solid fan in me.

🌠

29 comments:

  1. So glad you read this one! She is one of my favorite authors, I just love all her books, adult and YA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her adult books and I'm really enjoying her YA.

      Delete
  2. I really loved the relationship between Zorie and her stepmom and her adopted grandparents. I thought the romance was fun too. Glad you enjoyed this one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve only read one by Bennett (Alex, Approximately) and have been meaning to read more by her ever since. Thanks for putting Starry Eyes back on my radar because it sounds like one I will love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you are enjoying her books (and reviewing again!) I'm not a big YA fan, but this sounds good - I like how you recommend to folks like me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reviewing may be a bit spotty but I have a few. :) I don't mind YA but I think she writes well enough to enjoy it for those that don't.. :)

      Delete
  5. Zorrie and Lennon owned me. They were fabulous! That camping trip was everything I wanted it to be and more. I loved Zorrie's stepmother and Lennon's moms. This was a stupendous read for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so worried it was going to be drama for drama's sake but it rocked. I'm so glad you enjoyed it too!

      Delete
  6. I think this book is available to read on Riveted (SimonTeen) for free! This sounds so adorable I'm gonna read it *heart eyes*

    Uma@Books.Bags.Burgers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this looks good, and I loved the Alex one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this one. It made me so happy!

    I didn't love her latest but she's still an auto read author for me - no matter the genre - but especially her YA

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still makes me curious about her last one. :) Wouldn't put me off of her either.

      Delete
  9. I've heard good things about this one, so that's awesome you liked it so much. I've never read book by Bennett, but I do want to! This one seems perfect for the summer months.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love her books, she really does write some great YAs with positive parents, always awesome

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't usually read YA but I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jenn Bennett is my jam! I love her books! I enjoy her sex-positive approach, and how the main characters usually have at least one totally supportive parent. Yes, there are always ups and downs between kids and their parents, but she always makes it feel authentic. I really enjoyed their journey together in this one, when they finally had a chance to communicate and be alone. Also, her dad can eat rocks.

    Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear? 💬

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do enjoy her books both YA and adult. And yea... that dad... ugh.

      Delete
  13. I'm not a huge fan of contemporary YA but I'll admit I'm tempted by this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. She always has the loveliest covers. I need to look Bentley up. I don't think I've seen hers before.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like this was a well written book, not over the top with drama, which is what I prefer!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!