Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Magpie's Song by Allison Pang

Series: The IronHeart Chronicles #1
325p.
Publisher: Author published
Published: Aug. 8, 18
Source: From author (won book)

In the slums of BrightStone, Moon Children are worth less than the scrap they must collect to survive. It doesn’t matter that these abandoned half-breeds are part-Meridian with their ancestors hailing from the technologically advanced city that floats above the once-thriving, now plague-ridden BrightStone. Instead they are rejected by both their ancestral societies and forced to live on the outskirts of civilization, joining clans simply to survive. Not to mention their role as Tithe, leading the city’s infected citizens deep into the Pits where their disease can be controlled.

Nineteen-year-old Raggy Maggy is no different, despite the mysterious heart-shaped panel that covers her chest. Or at least she wasn’t… Not until her chance discovery of a Meridian-built clockwork dragon—and its murdered owner. When the Inquestors policing the city find Maggy at the scene of the crime, she quickly turns into their prime suspect. Now she’s all anyone can talk about. Even her clan leader turns his back on her, leading her to rely on an exiled doctor and a clanless Moon Child named Ghost to keep her hidden. In return, all she has to do is help them find a cure for the plague they believe was not exactly accidental. Yet doing so might mean risking more than just her life. It also might be the only key to uncovering the truth about the parents—and the past—she knows nothing about.

My thoughts:

This is an author who also wrote the Abby Sinclair series (oh if you haven't read it... go do it now! Seriously, we will wait...) so I was very happy when I won my copy. This is quite different than her other series. This one is is YA (older) and a bit steampunk-ish (not too heavy on it) with a mystery to by solved. It also is dark with a dystopian feel. It isn't dystopian since it happens in a much different world than ours, but you know something happened to separate the rich from the rest of the rabble. It also created a plague which cannot be cured and children who are immune to the plague and are marked by their snow white hair. Rejected and feared, the children barely survive in thieving clans and used as caretakers to those infected and doomed to die in the tunnels.

Okay, I don't want to give away any more as it also has a mystery feel to the story and it is always good to slowly have things revealed. The worldbuilding is easy to slip into and you want to know everything and you become more invested as the story reveals bits of this world. The world isn't bright and shiny, but as I have already stated, it is dark, it is dirty, and dangerous. I also wouldn't worry with the YA title as it has murder, betrayal and even casual sex (nothing graphic, but just states it as fact). It also has some incredible gadgets that I hope the author explores more in future books.

My biggest complaint? It isn't long enough. You know where the book was going and it took it's time to get there (which isn't a bad thing here) and when it gets there it ends. It isn't a cliffie but you need the next book to find out what how and more about this world.

I give this book 4 stars. I think anyone wanting a fantasy world which isn't heavy handed but engaging should try this book. Also, don't forget to try her other series. You won't regret either series.

🐉

35 comments:

  1. Okay I haven't tried this author at all and it sounds like I need to rectify that! I'm going to go on Goodreads and look both this and the other series you mentioned by her up! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do try her work. There is a second book out in this series. :)

      Delete
  2. This author is new to me, but I like the sounds of this one! Congrats on winning a wonderful title.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover is cool and it sounds awesome. I am glad the world building was easy to follow. Boo for too short!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I just wanted more! LOL Now I just need to get my hands on the next book.

      Delete
  4. It's been way too long since I've read this type of book--and seeing as I love the Abbey Sinclair series--this seems like the perfect book to jump back in with. Great review and lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read her other series, but I'm adding it and this one to my TBR! I love the idea of children being born immune with super identifiable markers. You'd think they'd take over the world one day, but right now they're being used for ability to be around the sick. I'm sure it'll be interesting to see how the story develops over time. I like the idea of a mystery and a dystopian/steampunk vibe. Thanks for sharing this!

    Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear? 💬

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you will love the Abby Sinclair series! I also think you'd like the worldbuilding in this one!

      Delete
  6. I do not say it often, that they are not long enough ;) But I still know that feeling. SOme really should be longer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on winning this title! I have never read this author before so I need to look into the books. I am happy that you enjoyed it and wrote such a nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always planned to read her older series. :)
    Oh, but this one does sound neat and all sorts of great elements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would love her older series and I think you would really like this one too!

      Delete
  9. I haven't read this author but the world she built in this books sounds awesome and so original. Sounds like a series I might like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you know what? I loved her UF series but I didn't know that she had wrote something else so I'm curious

    ReplyDelete
  11. that looks different and very interesting :D I enjoy the sound of the plot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very interesting. Even if you don't read much fantasy, I think you'll enjoy it.

      Delete
  12. This sounds so intriguing and omg that cover is gorgeous <3 Great review Melissa :)

    Uma@Books.Bags.Burgers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's great you really liked this one, and it was easy to follow and slip into the world. Sorry it wasn't nearly long enough though!!!


    Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it really is just that I wanted more and not that it felt too short.

      Delete
  14. Dark with a dystopian feel and a bit steampunk-ish ... if the simple and yet gorgeous cover hadn't won me over your review has. This is definitely one I'll be keeping a look out for. Well done on your win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sweet! I hope you try. I think you'll enjoy it Tracy!

      Delete
  15. Ooooh. This sounds like the perfect book for me! Thanks for sharing about it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know that feeling all too well when a book ends and you're like, "that's it?!". I'm never sure if it's a good thing that the author held my interest the entire time and I wanted more, or bad because I felt like I needed more. LoL

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another new to me author, I do love the cover to this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!