Monday, October 30, 2017

Arts and Crafts: Memorial Pillow and New Sling Bag!



If you have been around the blog this year, you know I lost one of my puppers. She was a sweetheart and LOVED to wear scarves. I got her into it as she was jelly of my other dog wearing coats (dobies are notorious for hating the cold and have a thin coat). She was a malamute (translation: fur, upon fur upon fur, upon... well you get it) so a coat for her would have been cruel. I decided that perhaps she would like a scarf instead and thus was born an obsession where she hated to go a day without one. She was sad when one was taken off (or walked off depending on how dirty she got it) and was elated when a new one was tied around her neck. Since she was my cousin's dog first and my aunt knew about the obsession I created, I decided to do some memory pillows out of her scarves. One for me and one for my aunt. I made hers first and still have to find the courage to make mine. Anyway, short story long here is the pillow:
This is actually a in the hoop embroidery design from Sweet Pea. You make each section and then sew them together. The grey and the black with paw print fabrics were my base and the rest were parts of her scarves she wore. Hopefully my aunt will get it soon.

And speaking of puppy crafts...

I needed a bag to carry my essentials for puppy classes for the monster pup. I didn't want to end up carrying too much so I took a small bag pattern I had and made it smaller. :) Just enough to fit essentials and my epi pens. This is the Speedwell Sling Bag by Blue Calla Patterns.

I would say this pattern is an intermediate one but the directions are clear so if you are up to it, I say try it even if you are a beginner. My biggest problems is that I reduced it by 15% so some of the details were a bit harder, but it was still doable. The parts I added was a zipper pocket in the back compartment for my epipens. I also lined it with insul-fleece by Pellon. That way my epipens stay at a more consistent temperature. Epipens should not be out in hot weather and never leave them in a car. Hopefully that addition will keep my medical supplies safe as possible.


I also added one of my charms and an embroidered note. If you are noticing the zipper, I added 2 metal zippers and crossed them at the top so it zips up on both ends to the top. I learned a lot about zippers with this one and a previous project. I'm becoming quite knowledgeable about them. More than I wanted to know, in fact! LOL I also added snaps to the pockets to keep things separated. The  pocket was exactly the right size for the epipens and I couldn't have gone any smaller. The bag is not big as it is written either (so it would be good for those not wanting a big bag).

I also added card slots in the front section. Your cards go "sideways" to fit. That way I created 6 slots and a pocket in the back. The original pattern just had the slip pocket. The zippered section is also part of the pattern. I did reduce the grommets to 1/4" instead of 1/2" to fit the ascetics. The grommets are so you can put earphones or electronic cords through. You can still get the earphones to go through it, but you have to slip it through with the plug end. The earphone section will not fit through it but I felt that wasn't needed in my case. I did add charms for bling and the front 2 charms on my bag each represent my 2 dogs. Also, the glitter on the bag is a glitter canvas and not glitter marine vinyl. I have a domestic machine which is good on most things but I still have to watch the thickness. A good canvas backed glitter with a think vinyl coating worked well here and should also wear well.

While this bag isn't recommend for a beginner, I do think that someone who hasn't been sewing long could tackle this bag easily. It looks harder than it is and this was the first time I put together a bag where you use a seam binding. It was much easier than I thought it would be and because of the binding there was no saggy lining. 

Hope this inspires you to tackle your projects! 
🎒

42 comments:

  1. it's really cute and I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay that bad is genius! My mom needs one of those! I love all of these Melissa, so fun and such great gift ideas. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pillow is just...I'm teary now.

    Kevin's grandmother made all the kids quilts using up their sheets and clothes from childhood. It's a really nice keepsake. His has a lot of Scooby Do lol

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! Kind of why I haven't made mine yet.

      What a great story too! You totally need to get him a Scooby for the holidays now. LOL

      Delete
  4. what, no :( I am heart broken. I completely missed that post somehow. I am so sorry Melissa I just found your old email to me the other day now I feel like a butt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do NOT feel that way. I saw the e-mail but wanted to make sure I had the time to properly answer you. Will write soon!

      Delete
  5. She was sure cute in her scarves. Good memories

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that you did a memory pillow with the scarves!!! I switched to Auvi-Q because the epipens are so huge, that bag is cute though :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no choice in my epipens and I'm not liking the new generic. I've also heard that they are failing. Not good.

      Delete
  7. You really need to start an Etsy shop with all this amazing stuff you make. The pillow is outstanding. What a special thing for your aunt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a shop but haven't put anything in it for a long time. :)

      Thanks. Still need to get it to her. :)

      Delete
  8. Ahhhh, love your memorial scarf pillow idea. None of our pets wear scarves or coats, but they do have blankets... so maybe when the time comes.

    Neat bag project. You are so clever and it looks snazzy, Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh blankets would be great type of memorial.

      Thanks for the compliments! <3

      Delete
  9. Omg that little backpack is too cute. I love the "you had me at woof" and what a sweet way to remember your dog with the scarf pillows. That's such a sweet story.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I still haven't made my own pillow. Hopefully soon.

      Delete
  10. I love the little backpack with so many little details..but that keepsake pillow is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so creative. They are gorgeous especially the pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww, I got a little choked-up about the scarf pillow. What a sweet thing to do. And that bag rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. you know, you could get commission if you ever want to make this backpack for other paw lovers. THey are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the patchwork look. I wish I new how to dew and create things like this. I'm so jealous!
    Rebecca @ The Portsmouth Review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like all things... just start. Besides, the pillow was easy. The embroidery machine did all the hard work. ;)

      Delete
  15. W0w that pillow is great!! and that bag. I am always amazed at the things you make.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! How awesome! I don't think I can make that, I'm creative, but not THAT creative. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful thing to do with the scarves. A great keepsake. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea with the scarves! I remember when your dog died, so sad. When my mom died, we talked about having a quilt made from her clothes, but we never did it and I regret it. And the bag! you are so talented and creative! I don't have a creative bone in my body so I am a bit jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you are more creative than you think! So sorry to hear about your mom ((HUGS)). I can see how hard that would be to do though. I mean I still have to make my pillow and I have yet to dive in.

      Delete
  19. Wow those are absolutely stunning! This is a beautiful way to remember your baby.

    Thank you for sharing <3
    ~Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh what a sweet face and wonderful gift for your aunt. I'm sure that will mean so much to her. Thinking of you all. <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!