Monday, October 16, 2017

A Kiss Before Doomsday by Laurence MacNaughton

Series: Dru Jasper #2
290 p.
Publisher: Pyr
Published: 7/11/17
Source: From publisher for review
When sorcerers disappear off the streets of Denver, the only person to notice a pattern is Dru, proprietor of The Crystal Connection and newly-minted sorceress. Monstrous creatures are attacking and dragging off anyone with magical powers. Signs point to forbidden necromancy in the hands of someone trying to fulfill the prophecy of the apocalypse scroll. 
With the dead rising from the grave, Dru fears someone is picking up where the Harbingers left off half a century ago. Now more than ever, Dru needs half-demon Greyson and his infernal car, Hellbringer. Though Greyson is missing and presumed dead, Dru believes he’s alive—and trapped at the center of this evil.
Dru will need her friends—and her enemies—trusting in Rane’s strength, Opal’s wisdom, and her own crystal magic to infiltrate the mountainous fortress of a powerful sorcerer intent on bringing about doomsday. 
Because the moment the prophecy is fulfilled, legions of undead will rise to consume the souls of everyone on Earth…
My thoughts:

I reviewed the first one where I didn't know what to expect and found myself having some fun with it. I knew I'd probably feel the same way with this book, but things got in the way so I didn't get to this story until now. I'm so glad I did read it.

It has the same fun as the last one and I think surpasses it. I knew what to expect and the characters really grew on me this time. They all matured a bit but not too much (which is a good thing). Plus, with the awful cliffie of the last book, this one gives you all the answers and only an open ending for the next book. No real cliffies in this one! YaY! My only complaint is that Hellbringer, the car with an attitude, really didn't get a part in this one. He was there, he saved their collective behinds but it wasn't quite the same as the first. I missed that and it was my favorite part of the first book. Still, he is there and will be in the next one. So, I'm good. :)

I give this fun short book 4 stars. I recommend this series now since you get the answers you didn't get from the first book. Plus with these being very short (but not short on action) you could easily read them back to back. I do suggest reading these in order. I think those who like a fun PNR will enjoy this series.
🛣

44 comments:

  1. I didn't know about this one but it looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm is PNR paranormal necromancing romance?
    I am at a loss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read necromancing romances. LOL This isn't one but does have a necromancer wanting romance in it. Help? LOL

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you liked this one - fun is always good! And yay for character growth and no cliffhangers this time.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, they seemed so juvenile in the last book but it just worked for me in this one. No real cliffies!!!! Whee!

      Delete
  4. To be honest I'm still pretty much fixating on the cover and whether or not I like it.

    That said - a newly-minted sorceress, monstrous creatures attacking and dragging off anyone with magical powers, a half-demon and his infernal car - yes, this sounds like my kind of read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not my fave cover, but it does match the content and the first book. :)

      It was fun! I think you'd enjoy. :D

      Delete
  5. Yay for finding answers and no cliffie. This sounds like a fun series and I like the sound of a car with an attitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We so need one with an attitude... um... I think... since I think the car was technically from hell. LOL

      Delete
  6. It's probably nice that a new reader can read them back to back since you get answers in book #2. Sounds fun!

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is also more enjoyable this way especially since they are both relatively short. :)

      Delete
  7. I haven't heard of this one yet but I have to say I'm a bit intrigued. Plus, we could all use a little fun to read! And this sounds really fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do start with the first one. It establishes characters and an overall arc to the series.

      Delete
  8. Oh neat that it was worth it and fun when you were able to get around to it. I am so behind on my stack of books and look forward to finding some gems in it. I'll have to add this series to my list because I loved seeing your reaction to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds devilishly fun, and perfect for Halloween. I have to run to GR to check the series out. I find so many of my to-reads from you!
    Rebecca @ The Portsmouth Review

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do they come back as zombies or is it a case of them returning as their normal selves? It does sound intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are zombie-ish creatures in it but none are the main characters. :)

      Delete
  11. Yay for answers. Glad to hear this is a fun series Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Does sound fun! And that car???

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm with you. I hate cliffhangers! So much better to leave an open ending instead! I don't think I have heard of this series before but it does sound fun. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't read this author but this sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad the first was a great surprise and that you enjoyed this one too. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the great review, Melissa! So glad you’re enjoying the Dru Jasper series. Hellbringer is the surprise fan-favorite character, and the demon car stars in a major storyline in Book 3, which comes out in July. Thanks for reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SWEET! Love that we get more Hellbringer! Thanks for stopping by and letting me know!

      Delete
  17. I really need to try this series. It has been on my TBR for a while.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  18. This does sound fun and I like seeing characters grow. Thanks for the heads up on the cliffie...I always prefer waiting to read those books until at least the second one is out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm always excited when a book is fun. I mean, why shouldn't it be? And yet .... many aren't. And yes ^ about the cliffhanger warning. It's good to know that going in!
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen Ryland

    ReplyDelete
  20. My review partner is totally digging this series, too. I need to check them out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. wait there was a car with attitude in the first that did not make the second? aww man what gives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The car is in there, but the role is a bit diminished. The author (above comment) says that the car will have a bigger role in the next book! :D

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!