Monday, September 26, 2016

The Sinner by Amanda Stevens

Series: Graveyard Queen #5
384 p.
Publisher: Mira
Published: 9/27/16
Source: NetGalley and publisher for review
I am a living ghost, a wanderer in search of my purpose and place…

I'm a cemetery restorer by trade, but my calling has evolved from that of ghost seer to death walker to detective of lost souls. I solve the riddles of the dead so the dead will leave me alone.

I've come to Seven Gates Cemetery nursing a broken heart, but peace is hard to come by…for the ghosts here and for me. When the body of a young woman is discovered in a caged grave, I know that I've been summoned for a reason. Only I can unmask her killer. I want to trust the detective assigned to the case for he is a ghost seer like me. But how can I put my faith in anyone when supernatural forces are manipulating my every thought? When reality is ever-changing? And when the one person I thought I could trust above all others has turned into a diabolical stranger?
My thoughts:

I had heard about a last book being written and I was afraid that this one would be the last in the series (...especially with that ending! NO cliffie, but open). I didn't have to worry. There will be a #6 which will be featured in an upcoming wishlist post. :) *whew* and *squee* :D

This one was so creepy that I had trouble getting to sleep the first night I started the book. I set it aside for a bit because I needed sleep, but after I was refreshed I totally went through this book quite easily. Yea, you might want to keep a nightlight on or snuggle with your own ghost detecting Angus before reading this book. Oh and speaking of Angus... he's back! I love that dog. Unfortunately I don't have one of those and my huge pup would rather me protect him from those things that go bump in the night. LOL

I didn't like where things were left off in the last book romantically and I wasn't hopeful for most of the book. By the end with all the twists and turns, I'm now hopeful again that things will turn out the way we want. I need my HEA! You don't quite get that here, but you aren't left devastated either.

The mystery is twisty and quite dark and spooky. Perfect for a graveyard book. This one had me second guessing ALL the secondary characters (except Angus, of course) and I have to say I'm still not totally convinced that all are on her side even now. It feels like personal agendas are also being played while she is forced to solve some of the scariest mysteries. This atmosphere sets us up brilliantly and gives us the perfect feel for the book and I dare say the next as well.

Oh and that ending! I knew there had to be another since there are a couple of things still needing to be solved and I cannot wait to get my hands on that book! Oh and what a great ending. So perfectly sets us up but doesn't let us down. I want to say more because I do think I squeed a bit at the end (um... I know that sounds bad, but it wasn't... LOL). I highly recommend this book to horror fans (I'm a wimp and loved it, just sayin'), UF fans, and those that love a good paranormal mystery. This is one to read in order. If you haven't started this series now, do it! We'll wait... *taps fingers*

38 comments:

  1. I loved it too! Yeah, totally agree with you about those agendas. I think there's something much bigger in play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That ending was torture but in a good way. I was so hoping there was a reason for everything and I didn't want it to be because he is just a butthead LOL! I agree, I need to next book soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hated the ending because it was the ending. LOL Needs the next one now! I'm so glad that it looks like there was a reason. :D

      Delete
  3. Oh I really enjoyed this one as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dogs don't notice a thing. I'd be dead and gone before they even looked up lol My cat hears everything but would hide.

    I do like spooky/horror so I'll have to check this series out.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine would notice only because he'd either be on top of me or under me so I could protect his large arse! LOL

      Delete
  5. I'm really excited to start this series. I have book on my iPod to listen to it as soon as possible. Glad to see it is still going strong at book 5.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sweet! I haven't tried any of these on audio. I'd be a bit afraid that it would spook me too much. :D

      Delete
  6. Whoa hold the phone. I didn't know there were more books! I think I only read 1 -3.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have 1-3 on my shelf! Really need to start this series...but at this point I might just wait until book 6 is out! Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this one, my review goes up next week. So many twists with this one and so much supsense. I am still a bit confused about the ending and who knew what when.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It is all mysterious and I so need that next book to clear everything up. :D

      Delete
  9. I've been so obsessed with these types of stories lately its awesome to find another series that I am now very much so looking forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL, yes that ending. I thought this was so creepy..and the imagery..just wow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah! I can't do creepy. Not for me. But glad you enjoyed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever decide to try (I'm a total wimp) this one is also a huge mystery. :D

      Delete
  12. EVERYBODY is reviewing this one Monday :) Too funny!!! And yes... I haven't started this series yet but BY GOD, I own it and I will start it!! *shakes fist in the air* I just need me more brain power and energy and I'll be good to go!! I can dream, right!! And I saw in Kim's review just how creepy this book was... YES, you do need a night light or an Angus to protect you!!! Mortsafes!!!! Eeeeeek!!!!

    I'm glad to hear you're relieved about the next book coming!!! Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so popular and with good reason! :) I hope you get to it soon! *boo* :D

      Delete
  13. Ghosts and horror and creep ARE my bread and butter. I'm going to be looking for the first of this series. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh nope nope I'm out. Too big of a wuss for this one. lol I know a few who would LOVE it. Yay for there being another one for yall :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no idea how much of a wimp I am. You can do it. Be one of us... one of us... ;)

      Delete
  15. Sounds like this was the perfect fifth book in the series, considering the previous book left you a bit annoyed. I haven't heard of this series, so what planet have I been on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, you so need to start this series. I was really just annoyed at Devlin, not the book. ;)

      Delete
  16. I skimmed this one because its sitting on my nightstand begging for me to pick it up. I keep thinking I'll wait closer to Halloween to pick it up but I really need to find out what's going on with Devlin!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!