Wednesday, September 28, 2016

On My Wishlist: Heartless by Marissa Meyer


Heartless
by Marissa Meyer
464 p.
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Published: Nov. 8, 16
Long before she was the terror of Wonderland — the infamous Queen of Hearts — she was just a girl who wanted to fall in love. 
Catherine may be one of the most desired girls in Wonderland, and a favorite of the yet-unmarried King of Hearts, but her interests lie elsewhere. A talented baker, all she wants is to open a shop with her best friend and supply the Kingdom of Hearts with delectable pastries and confections. But according to her mother, such a goal is unthinkable for the young woman who could be the next Queen. 
At a royal ball where Cath is expected to receive the king's marriage proposal, she meets Jest, the handsome and mysterious court joker. For the first time, she feels the pull of true attraction. At the risk of offending the King and infuriating her parents, she and Jest enter into an intense, secret courtship. 
Cath is determined to define her own destiny and fall in love on her terms. But in a land thriving with magic, madness, and monsters, fate has other plans.
I know that not everyone loves retellings but I just enjoy the creativity that comes from taking something well known and making something new. After all, in a way, there is nothing really new. :)
So what is on your wishlist this week?

32 comments:

  1. I really need to get caught up on this series but this does look so good and I hope it is fabulous! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a first.. hm... will have to check that out again.

      Delete
  2. this looks fun, i for one love retellings, i need to read them more

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meyer isn't a favorite author of mine, but I do admire her creativity so I'm curious about this title and can't wait to see what you make of it when it releases. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still need to finish her other series. While I didn't love what I read as much as others, like you, I enjoyed the creativity.

      Delete
  4. I'm not familiar with this author. I'm waiting for Magic Binds on audiobook - which may be out as early as next week!! (I've read it, but need the audio as well!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read a couple of books in the Lunar Chronicles (I need to finish that one) so I'm curious. I also totally understand waiting on Magic Binds. Do want to do that whole series on audio! :D

      Delete
  5. YES! I am ready for a new series, I hear that she does the Queen of Hearts major justice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know about this one, Melissa. As much as I loved her other series, I think I'm ready to move from fairy tale retellings. :/ I hope you'll enjoy, though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really curious about this one! I didn't read the Lunar Chronicles, but this one sounds so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read the first book in that series and I do intend to continue. :)

      Delete
  8. I'm personally a huge fan of retellings. I feel like this one would need to be treated VERY delicately though given the source material.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe, but I've seen wild retellings that I've enjoyed. :) Especially with Alice... but then that one can lend itself to wild retellings. :)

      Delete
  9. I have this from BEA, and need to squeeze it into my schedule soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. I have a feeling this one could go dark. A lot of the Wonderland retellings tend to go dark.

      Delete
  11. I've seen this one around a lot today. Hope it's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read any of her books and would love to give them all a try. :) Hope you get this one and enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still need to finish her other series but I'm so curious.

      Delete
  13. There's so much hype around this book but I am as eager as everyone else to get my hands on it. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes! This is on my wishlist too! Love Marissa Meyer as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!