Monday, March 30, 2015

The Loss: The Originals #2 by Julie Plec

Series: The Originals #2
336 p.
Publisher: HQN books
Published: 3/31/15
Source: From publisher for review
Family is power. The Original vampire family swore it to each other a thousand years ago. They pledged to remain together always and forever. But even when you're immortal, promises are hard to keep.
After a hurricane destroyed their city, Klaus, Elijah and Rebekah Mikaelson have rebuilt New Orleans to even greater glory. The year is 1766. The witches live on the fringes in the bayou. The werewolves have fled. But still, Klaus isn't satisfied. He wants more. He wants power.
But when Klaus finally finds a witch who will perform a spell to give him what he desires most, she secretly uses Klaus to unleash a curse one that brings back hundreds of her ancestors and begins a war to reclaim New Orleans. As the siblings fight off the attack, only one thing's for certain the result will be a bloodbath.
My thoughts:
This is a continuation of the previous book taking place about 40 years later. Old grudges surface and this becomes the crux of their problems... along with Klaus, of course. In the last book I thought that Klaus was a bit too optimistic for his character. However, in this book, the optimism has turned into something more selfish and narcissistic. Yep, the Klaus we know is in full form.

My only complaint is slight. This time it feels as if Elijah is more like Klaus in this book. He has always been the one to be able to think of others even if his blinders are huge for the family. He seemed a bit more self centered in this one. Not too badly but just not his sweet vampire self who can rip out your throat for looking at his family wrong. Okay, bad example, but fans of the show may know what I'm talking about. It was a minor thing however.

I give this book 3 1/2 stars. I enjoyed myself a bit more with this book and found myself easily seeing this as a flashback episode of the Originals. I recommend it to those who are fans of the show.

19 comments:

  1. I really quite liked the first boo and am excited to read this one too..... like you I'm treating them like extensions of the TV show, like extra flashback scenes.

    Thea @  Gizzimomo's Book Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think that is the intention. I hope you enjoy it too!

      Delete
  2. I only read the first VD book and don't really watch he series, although I know who Klaus is. I always mean to watch The Originals - that seems more up my alley than VD.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right. My mom enjoys the show but doesn't care for TVD.

      Delete
  3. I know nothing about the books or the series, so I am not sure this one is for me. Glad you liked this one better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should see the show first. They follow along very closely.

      Delete
  4. I've never seen the show, nor have I picked up the books. I'm not really interested in reading about vampires anymore! But I'm glad to see you enjoyed this one. Happy reading, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't care for vamps then I would recommend it to you. It was fun for me. :)

      Delete
  5. I'm so curious about Klaus Melissa! He sounds like someone I would be drawn to even while simultaneously wanting to give him a smack now and then ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was a fan of TVD for a while but after the originals left to star in their own spin off show my interest died down quite a bit. i'm just not as interested in it now as i once was. That being said, i wouldn't mind reading about a narcitistic Klaus. i LOVE that character to bits. Lovely review.
    Lily @ Lilysbookblog

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like and have read and watched VD but haven't really gotten into the spinoffs

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol - It just doesn't feel right unless he's selfish and narcissistic. I need to catch up on the TV series, then I might read these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah... I'm not a big fan of the TV show so I confess that I'm not that attracted by the books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed the first one but I'm glad to hear Klaus is more of his usual self in this one. He just isn't Klaus unless he's a narcissistic a-hole now and again. :-) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never really got into this series. But I never got to sit down with it. I do love that cover though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never seen the show but I'm thinking I should.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!