Monday, May 13, 2013

Loki's Wolves (The Blackwell Pages #1) by K.L. Armstrong and M.A. Marr

In Viking times, Norse myths predicted the end of the world, an event called Ragnarok, that only the gods can stop. When this apocalypse happens, the gods must battle the monsters--wolves the size of the sun, serpents that span the seabeds, all bent on destroying the world. 
The gods died a long time ago. 
Matt Thorsen knows every Norse myth, saga, and god as if it was family history--because it is family history. Most people in the modern-day town of Blackwell, South Dakota, in fact, are direct descendants of either Thor or Loki, including Matt's classmates Fen and Laurie Brekke. 
However, knowing the legends and completely believing them are two different things. When the rune readers reveal that Ragnarok is coming and kids--led by Matt--will stand in for the gods in the final battle, he can hardly believe it. Matt, Laurie, and Fen's lives will never be the same as they race to put together an unstoppable team to prevent the end of the world.
This is an MG book. I know I don't often read MG, but when you have Kelley Armstrong and Melissa Marr as the authors I have to at least check it out. I'm glad that I did. Even adults will probably enjoy this tale.

What I think I most enjoyed about this tale was that it didn't talk down to the reader. They used the norse terms (which I'll never be able to pronounce properly) and didn't shy away from the proper spelling... not even to make it phonetically pronounceable. I liked that because we don't get that in adult literature and it doesn't bother me to butcher it in my head (sorry Icelanders...) and it doesn't slow down my reading my getting the proper pronunciation either. Small quibble that I have, but I've seen books have to draw out everything before so I was glad it wasn't present here. It treated you like you could figure it out for yourself.

The adventure was also engaging. We follow 3 friends... or new to being friends and they start to see each other outside the labels they were encouraged to be used while in their small town. They find out there is more to the person than just their reputation and trust slowly develops. I also loved it when a character found out they were wrong and then admitted it to the others. Adults could use a lesson in that. :)

My biggest complaint is that some of the pacing seemed a bit off. I think it could have been a bit tighter and really made the pages really fly especially for the younger crowd. Still, I think both boys and girls can be really engaged with this one and find someone to connect. The ending is a bit of a cliffie, but yet didn't bother me like some. Still, it will leave you with a huge question at the end and a want for the next book.

I give this book 4 stars. It's a good start to a MG adventure and I think all ages will have fun with the adventure.
I received this ARC from Atom and no compensation for my review was given.

26 comments:

  1. I definitely enjoyed this one, too, though I do agree about the pacing. It wasn't as smooth as usual. Not sure exactly what it was that made it uneven but, you're right. And I loved the whole Norse thing! Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was torn between wondering if they could have edited tighter or if that would lose some of the characterization. Wasn't quite sure either. Still enjoyed it. :)

      Delete
  2. Liking the look and sound of this. I had no idea Kelley Armstrong wrote for this age group so will be sure to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The adventure and not talking down to the reader makes this mg sound good to me and I don't read them often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was well done. I don't like it when kids are talked "down". You can make it simpler without doing that, and I think they achieved it.

      Delete
  4. *Facepalm* I can't believe that I didn't link the two YA authors to this book. I had thought it was debut authors. Anywho, I know next to nothing about Norse mythology so I'll definitely be checking this one out. I just hope the ending isn't much of cliffie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of people didn't connect them. :) The ending was a cliffie, but it didn't bother me. I usually hate them. :)

      Delete
  5. I confess I don't read a lot of books like that, but you're right with these authors it"s difficult to resist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would be interested to see if the get the terms right ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that they did... although I wasn't really checking it but enjoying my journey... :) Be interested to see what you think!

      Delete
  7. I have been reading good solid reviews on this one. I am now a big fan of Norse mythology thanks to Kevin Hearne. I think this would be a fun one to pick up for my kids when they are a bit older. I am not a fan of the cliffhanger in MG, though... why??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I think you and your kids would enjoy it! It wasn't a huge cliffie. I think it's because I know what will happen, just not exactly how. :)

      Delete
  8. I loved this one, and thought the inclusion of Norse myths and terms was wonderful. I agree, I'm glad they didn't baby the reader and just dove in. I do know what you mean about the pacing, it could have been tighter. Still it was a fun story, though I think the cliffie bugged me more than you. I hope they'll make that one awful ending event better in book two. I think the actual myth allows for it, so I have my fingers crossed. :D Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also hope that they don't cliffie the next book. I think the conclusion will come out like we think, just not how. So, I think that is why it didn't bother me as much as most do. :)

      Delete
  9. I'm not sure if I'll read this since it's MG, which is a hit-or-miss genre with me, but it sounds SO GOOD. I know if I do pick it up, though, I'll wait for the sequel since cliffies don't work well with me. Great review, Melissa! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know this is geared towards younger readers so I wasn't sure if I wanted to read it or not but it's getting great reviews. Plus this sounds like one I could share with my nieces & nephews after.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love middle grade and have been really excited to read this one! I'm happy to hear that you READ a MG book and excited that you liked it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review Melissa, despite some pacing issues I know s few peeps who would enjoy this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just started seeing this one around. And it does look so good, even for Middle school. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My MG reader is loving this one! He's got books to read for school so he's fitting it in around other books, but it has disappeared into the black hole that is his room. I might have to order my own copy if I want to read it.

    I like your review of it. I'll look for those pacing issues. I've never read any of Kelly Armstrong's work so I'm excited to see how the two authors work together. Great review!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maybe the pacing is due to the fact that there were two authors? I got a copy of this via Shelf Awareness and I'm super excited about it for the same reasons you listed. Kelley Armstrong is enough to sell me on any book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Never heard of this book but it sounds adventurous! And I had no idea Kelley Armstrong wrote part of this. I'm going to have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmm not sure this is for me, though I do love Kevin Hearne's book, and he will have to fight Ragnarok too ...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had no idea they wrote a MG together! No idea at all. I don't read MG either if I can avoid it (and I usually can), but I have to admit I'm curious about these two and how well they function together.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!