Wednesday, March 13, 2013

AimeeKay Review: Masquerade by Sarah-Jane Lehoux

Never trust a liar, especially when they’re telling the truth 
Starting over isn’t easy, especially when the world isn’t ready for you to change. Sevy, thief turned assassin turned mercenary, isn’t having any fun adjusting to a normal, law-abiding life. Luckily for her, an old partner in crime arrives with an irresistible proposition: a getaway to a tropical island, an adventure of a lifetime, and an amazing friendship ready to blossom into an even more amazing romance. 
Things are looking up for Sevy. That is, until a pack of maniacal fairies with a taste for human flesh arrive on the scene. 
Now she must unravel a web of magical intrigue hidden behind the outwardly idyllic atmosphere of the islands of Belakarta. Nothing is as it seems, and no one can be trusted. Trapped under the spell of a handsome and mysterious stranger, Sevy must fight fairies and tricksters to regain her freedom. 
Or spend an eternity as a sorcerer’s plaything.
I love a good series. Every time a new book comes out it feels like getting together with an old group of friends. Limoux has created just such a series. I love the world and the characters that she has inhabited it with. Masquerade is the third book in the series about Sevy and her adventures. Once again Lehoux has hit this one out of the park! Let me warn you though, Masquerade is an emotional roller coaster!

I really enjoyed seeing Sevy and Revik again, as well as being introduced to some awesome new characters. I even liked how well the villain was written. There were times I wish I could just reach into the book and slap them silly for all the awful things that were being done to Sevy. I think the only part of the book I didn’t like was watching Sevy be abused. I know there are reasons why she puts up with it and it does make the book that much deeper, but it still upset me. (I won’t get into more detail because I don’t want to spoil the book.)

I also really enjoyed getting to see inside Sevy and Revik’s relationship. ***Spoiler Alert*** One of my favorite scenes was getting to see how Sevy and Revik would have been if Sevy had never met Jarro and if Revik had never met his wife. ***end spoiler alert***

There were even parts that made me cry and parts that made me laugh out loud, sometimes at the same time. I think out of the three books this one is my favorite. The ending definitely promises more books about Sevy and I can’t wait to see where she is taken next. Also I’m curious to see if certain characters will be back, or if they have said their goodbyes for good.

Masquerade is a standalone novel but I highly recommend that you read the previous two books in the series. It helps make the book that much better.
AimeeKay's reviews of the other two books:

13 comments:

  1. Oh it works like a stand alone too? Cool

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I'm always intrigued by anyone fighting with the fairies as I always brought up believing they were the most loving of all the super naturals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love when a book can bring out all the big emotions and keep you deep in the story. This sounds like a pretty intriguing premise, too. I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good series too AimeeKay! I love knowing that when I finish a book, there's more coming even if I have to wait a year to experience it:) I do like too that this book can be read as a standalone despite being part of a series, it's always nice to get a complete story within a larger series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's nothing I love more than losing myself in a series I've been following for a very long time. It IS like being reunited with old friends. And I love that this made you feel ALL the feels, AimeeKay! It sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's wonderful to have a book like that which can change your feelings all along the story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's unusual for a fantasy series to also be able to be stand alones. So glad this one is this way! Although I'm totally going to read it in order. :) Also sounds like great characters. Thanks so much for reviewing these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw a review for this somewhere else recently and it sounds good. I like that it has a It's a Wonderful Life type scene in it, that is always fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh this sounds fantastic! I love the occasional emotional rollercoaster. :-)

    And it sounds like there are some really strong characters, too. I love a well written villain to loathe. It's nice also to know this could work as a standalone. I am so behind on my series it's not even funny. :-) It's a bit less daunting when you don't have to backread just to get caught up, but it sounds like I should, and probably would anyway. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think I heard of this one before. An emotional rollercoaster can be good or bad, but it's usually pretty good and means your emotionally invested. I may have to check the first book out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cover totally turns me away but I love what you said about the book. An emotional rollercoaster always grabs me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved seeing those two that way as well. I just loved Revik in the beginning too, back to his old way. :D Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all the comments. Glad you all found my review helpful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!