Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Wishful Thinking (Time of Transition #3) by Gabi Stevens: Review by AimeeKay

Free-spirited artist Stormy Jones-Smythe was raised by two talented Wizard fathers but never showed the slightest hint of magical abilities. Which is why she’s totally surprised when three famous fairy godmothers show up at her door to tell her she’s one of them.
Surprised, and none too happy. The godmothers are fugitives, framed for treason, and the last thing the magical Council wants is another fairy godmother going rogue. Hence Stormy’s new full-time Guard, Hunter Merrick.

Stormy quickly realizes she’s not going to escape Hunter’s watch…and before long, she’s not sure she wants to. But her freedom depends on her ability to expose the plot against the godmothers, and that means getting control of her magic. Despite the growing chemistry between them, Hunter is fiercely loyal to the Council—and duty-bound to keep Stormy from doing either of those things.

But he didn’t count on Stormy’s irrepressible exuberance and passion for life. Before long, even Hunter isn’t sure which side he’s on, and he can’t contain Stormy either way.
*sigh* Wishful Thinking is the third and final (?) book in the godmother's story. We get to meet the third godmother Stormy and follow her on her path as she finds out that not only is she a godmother, but she has become one in a time of great upheaval in the Arcani world. If you've read the previous two books you know that the other Godmothers, Kristin and Reggie, have gone into hiding. Also that Lucas Reynard, the son of Elenka Liska, a Godmother who tried to take over the Arcani world during WWII, is the reason. He has come to finish what his mother started and only the godmothers realize his true intentions. If you haven't read the previous two books then may I suggest you go read them before you read this review. There are tons of other important details that you are missing and reading this review would only spoil the other two books.

Ok, so why the *sigh*? Mainly because this IS the final story in the trilogy. There is no open ending on the last page. Everything is neatly tied in a pretty bow, and there is definitely a happy ending. Which don't get me wrong I love a happy ending, especially a good one that doesn't leave obviously glaring loose ends. However I really enjoyed the world that Ms. Stevens has created and I hope she plans on writing more stories that take place there. (hint, hint, to Ms. Stevens if you are reading this)

As for the story itself. It follows the other two books in form. Magic-less girl finds out she is a godmother, and of course there is a love interest. But Stormy's love story isn't as easy as Reggie or Kristin's was. Not only is she being watched even closer than Reggie was by the counsel, but the person she falls in love with is a member of the council's elite Guard. To make matters worse because he is a guard he has taken an oath to never betray them. A magical oath that will kill him if he should side with the godmothers. The beginning of the story seemed a bit slow. But then again some of it was just rehashing what I as the reader already knew, but Stormy didn't so she had to be told about the godmothers and how they had turned away from the council. Of course she isn't always told the whole truth and a large portion of the beginning of the story is her trying to sift through everything to figure out who's side she is on. Then there is the problem of her magic, which she can't seem to get under control. I actually liked that part. Unlike Kristin and Reggie's powers, even with practice Stormy never seems to be able to get hers completely under control.

But even though it took a minute to take off, Stormy's story still drew me in. I didn't want to stop reading. Plus there were the extra details about Arcani life and the world that the author has created that were revealed. Definitely interesting. (I want to find out more about the dragons!!<---another hint to the author!) Also I got to see some of the characters from previous books. This definitely made me happy.

There are some very smexy sex scenes in the book. (Just like in the others) So don't let the little ones start reading it. There are also some tear jerkers too, so have the tissues handy. (I'm not saying why, I won't spoil that much, I will however say I almost cried in the one scene)

Definitely pick up these books if you are looking for a new world to dive into. Yes it is romance, but there is also mystery and adventure thrown in with the magic of the mix.

Thank you again Melissa for sending these to me to read and review, I really enjoyed all three. To everyone else if you are going to start reading them, may I suggest you get all three at once. That way you can read them all straight through just as I did. It was very satisfying to be able to do that.

Til next time,
AimeeKay

Note from Melissa:
Come back tomorrow for a author blog post by Gabi Stevens and a giveaway!!

11 comments:

  1. it's always amazing to have a series like that, when all the books are really great! I'm glad you enjoyed so much each. You're right it must be a good idea to have them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad all three books are great to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed them too! Gabi writes such a wonderful world to escape into :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when you want a series to continue. You know it's so good! Thanks again AimeeKay for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still trying to get used to the idea of young godmothers, but hello, why can't they be young? The book covers in this series are all so different, it takes me a while to remember they are a series. I like that they are romances. Sounds perfect to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sad :/ I am happy and sad when a good series end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bummer when a series you enjoy ends. But all great things must. :) Thats what keeps them high on the shelves. :) Thank you for the wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great world building? I'm there! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another great review, thank you. I ordered all three books yesterday, and I am totally blaming you ;).
    But well, perhaps I win the contest, then I can give them away on my blog and convert another reader into a fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really did enjoy these books, I hope the author decides to write more stories in the world she has created.

    @Melissa-NO, thank YOU for sending me the series to review!

    @Aurian- Hope you like them!

    To everyone thanks for the wonderful comments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - 3 for 3. Way to go AimeeKay! I'm glad the whole series satisfied you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!