Monday, July 22, 2019

Audiobook Review: Wayward Children series #1-3 by Seanan Maguire


Since these were so short for audio, I thought I'd do some quick reviews of the books. This is not the complete series but only the ones my library had at the time.

Series: Wayward Children #1
Unabridged
Published: 4/5/16
Publisher: Macmillan Audio
Narrator: Cynthia Hopkins
Length: 4 hrs. 44 min.
Source: Hoopla/Library

No SolicitationsNo VisitorsNo Quests 
Children have always disappeared under the right conditions; slipping through the shadows under a bed or at the back of a wardrobe, tumbling down rabbit holes and into old wells, and emerging somewhere... else. 
But magical lands have little need for used-up miracle children. 
Nancy tumbled once, but now she’s back. The things she’s experienced... they change a person. The children under Miss West’s care understand all too well. And each of them is seeking a way back to their own fantasy world. 
But Nancy’s arrival marks a change at the Home. There’s a darkness just around each corner, and when tragedy strikes, it’s up to Nancy and her new-found schoolmates to get to the heart of the matter. 
No matter the cost.
My thoughts: This is a modern adult faerie tale even though it centers around young children. It is often dark and deals with a few adult themes and is also very inclusive. If you are looking for a dark adventure with diversity, this series is for you. There is a mystery that is easily solved but it still captured me nonetheless. I give it 4 stars as it had a slow start but worked well on audio.
~~~~~~~

Series: Wayward Children #2
Unabridged
Published: 5/18/17
Publisher: Macmillan Audio
Narrator: Seanan Maguire
Length: 4 hrs. 4 min.
Source: Hoopla/Library

Twin sisters Jack and Jill were seventeen when they found their way home and were packed off to Eleanor West’s Home for Wayward Children.
This is the story of what happened first… 
Jacqueline was her mother’s perfect daughter—polite and quiet, always dressed as a princess. If her mother was sometimes a little strict, it’s because crafting the perfect daughter takes discipline. 
Jillian was her father’s perfect daughter—adventurous, thrill-seeking, and a bit of a tom-boy. He really would have preferred a son, but you work with what you've got.
They were five when they learned that grown-ups can’t be trusted.

They were twelve when they walked down the impossible staircase and discovered that the pretense of love can never be enough to prepare you a life filled with magic in a land filled with mad scientists and death and choices.
My thoughts: It was delightful to hear the book by the author and so I was intrigued to hear how she would voice all the characters. She did an excellent job and I slipped easily into the world. This one had a great message in how people try to box someone into their expectations and how it effects the person and how the brave find who they are despite those expectations.

Wayward Children #3
Unabridged
Published: 1/9/18
Publisher: Macmillan Audio
Narrator: Michelle Dockery
Length: 4 hrs. 15 min.

Beneath the Sugar Sky returns to Eleanor West's Home for Wayward Children. At this magical boarding school, children who have experienced fantasy adventures are reintroduced to the "real" world.

Sumi died years before her prophesied daughter Rini could be born. Rini was born anyway, and now she’s trying to bring her mother back from a world without magic.
My thoughts: This was probably my least favorite in terms of Rini as I didn't care for her until the end. However the secondary characters make up for that lack and I was excited to see Sumi again. The ending was interesting and I love it when characters find where they truly belong. I look forward to listening to more of these stories and I hope my library gets them.

🧚 

31 comments:

  1. I don't think I'd heard of these before - or rather, I never paid attention to them. They sound FABULOUS and a good narrator to boot. I'm adding them to my Audible wish list and seeing if my library has them. Thanks Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just got the first one from the library! My daughter is going to listen. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. I listened to, and enjoyed the first one but I didn't realize she narrated the 2nd. I'll be getting to it soon.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've red two of this authors books so far and the books are ok but just not my kind of story lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She writes a lot of stuff and you may have just not gelled with the right book. :)

      Delete
  4. I had a good time with these too

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not all that often that the author narrates their own book. I'm glad that it worked. I'm sure it helps add an extra layer to the series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These books have been on my TBR for a while, but somehow I never thought to try them on audio! I'll definitely do that now, am intrigued to see how the author narrates their own book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just happened to spot them so I grabbed them at my library.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you did awesome when you made the decision to narrate your own book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read book and really liked it, I did mean to read more, but the ebook was so pricey. I could just do audio ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I own the first one and I really need to read it. I'm glad you're enjoying the series!!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really need to try this author. I've read all of her books under the name Mira Grant, but have yet to try a single book under this name.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to try her other stuff. So much I want to read by her.

      Delete
  11. Definitely a new author for me, will need to check them out as I have read Mira Grant (they were the zombie books right?) xxx

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I haven't read as much by this author as I want to read!

      Delete
  12. This series has been recommended by several others, so it may be time to dive in! Them being so short might be the perfect excuse to binge listen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really need to read this series asap!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tried the first book in this series and I did audio which might have been a mistake. I think I tuned out at some point and missed some things. I need to go back and just read it. I'm glad to see it gets better as it goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, sometimes it works on audio sometimes it doesn't. I've had that happen to me as well.

      Delete
  15. I haven't heard of this series! It sounds interesting, and the audiobooks seem short. I may have to give this one a shot! I'm glad you said it gets better as the story progresses... that's always good to know ahead of time, so you stick with it.

    Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear? 💬

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!