Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Awaken the Darkness by Dianne Duvall

Series: Immortal Guardians #8
260 p.
Publisher: Author/Indie
Published: July 10, 2018
Source: From author for review

He awakens encapsulated in dirt with no knowledge of how he came to be there. Riddled with injuries, he can remember neither his past nor who he is. Nor can he remember what he is. But surely no mortal man could survive being buried deep beneath the earth. All he knows with certainty is that the soothing voice and presence of the woman moving around above enables him to endure the agony of his wounds. And he will do whatever it takes to be with her.

When Susan first sees the old two-story house for sale, such warmth and longing fill her that—against all reason—she makes an offer. It will take years of hard work and money she frankly doesn’t have to fix up the place. So she can’t explain why she bought it. She also can’t explain what compels her to spend hours one night, digging in the basement until she unearths a man. A man who still lives and breathes despite having been buried alive. A man whose intense brown eyes glow amber with pain, declaring him far more than ordinary. Susan knows she should keep her distance. He has no memory and possesses gifts that would make most fear him. But as the two work together to unravel the mystery of his past, she finds herself drawn in by his teasing nature and tender touch. So much so that she loses her heart to him even as they find themselves hunted by unknown enemies who are ruthless in their quest to capture them.
My thoughts:

This is a fun PNR/UF that I have enjoyed since the first book. If you haven't read them, you are missing out on some laughs, adventure and romance. I do suggest starting with the first book in the series to really get to know all the characters and it also helps to make sense of the overall series arc.

In this book we go a bit back in time to an incident that hurt the guardians. This is Stanislav's story and what happened to him during the incident and 2 years later. Stan is a man of honor and it shows throughout his story even when he manipulates to survive. He finds his equal and while she doesn't have his strength, she is no wilting flower. I liked how these two worked together and it was easy to believe the romance. I loved also how both waited until he was healed to further their relationship. My only complaint would be that I would have liked a reunion scene with Jax (you'll see who that is. when you read it... LOL) but I still really loved the epilogue which made it a perfect end to the story. Still, I wouldn't have minded a few hundred more pages... but then I always want more of a story I'm enjoying.

I give this book 4 1/2 stars. It had been too long since I was back in this world and every time I visit I enjoy myself. If you are looking for a humorous romance with some kick ass adventure, I do suggest this whole series.
💞

There is a few more days to enter for the prize pack! Just go HERE for the post and how to enter.

40 comments:

  1. I love the cover for this and this series is new to me but it sounds wonderful. Thanks for putting it on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the wonderful review of Dianne Duvall’s AWAKEN THE DARKNESS (Available Now!), Melissa. I’m so glad to see that you enjoyed Stanislav and Susan’s story! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cover is amazing and the series sounds amazing. I think I remember you reviewing earlier books.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the first book in this series last year and have yet to continue with it. It was fun escapism (Roland’s story) and I really need to get back to the series. Thanks for putting it back on my radar!

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books
    Http://girlplusbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Squee. I adore this author and series. I cannot wait to devour this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds good! And always nice when an epilogue works. They can really bring a sense of closure if done well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd really enjoy the humor in these books. It isn't all romance! LOL

      Delete
  7. I read this yesterday and couldn't put it down. I gave it 5 stars. It's one of my favorite series. I still need to write my review. Procrastination is my friend these days. Enjoyed your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sweet! I love this series. It is so much fun! I've been really slacking on my bloggy stuff so I know procrastination well. :)

      Delete
  8. It's always great to go back to a world/series you love and find you still enjoy them! I also like the sound of some humor. :)

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. book 8 wow, t's great that it continues to be that good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love pnr so I'm gonna put this series in my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This series sounds like something I would really like! I added it to my TBR when you posted the giveaway and author guest post. <3

    L @ Do You Dog-ear?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think I've ever heard of this series by PNR/UF are my favs and right now I'm on a PNR/UF binge so I will definitely be checking this series out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually like my PNR with a side of UF. :) I hope you enjoy as much as I have!

      Delete
  13. Wow...can we take a moment to talk about how UNIQUE this blurb is? I really have to check this series out! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll really enjoy this whole world. Wait until you "meet" everyone! :D

      Delete
  14. I think I've seen this series before on your blog and I probably said it then too, but this sounds good so I need to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This does sound like a good series and I like the name Stanislav. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't read any of these, will check out the first and come back to you :D xxx Thanks

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was wondering if I could just pick this one up, but sounds like I should start at #1. For some reason this premise really caught me though....I'll have to add this author to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  18. laughs, adventure and, not so much, romance ... You know how to sell a series to me.

    Not something that initially appealed to me but your review made me think again.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Book 8! Wow. So glad you are still enjoying it so highly this far in. That's a great sign. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do need to try this series! I am loving the paranormal genre again!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!