Monday, June 5, 2017

Within the Sanctuary of Wings by Marie Brennan

Series: The Memoirs of Lady Trent #5 (last in the series)
352 p.
Publisher: Tor Books
Published: 4/25/17
Source: From publisher for review
The conclusion to the thrilling memoirs of Lady Isabella Trent and her legacy of dragon evolutionary research and anthropological adventures. 
After nearly five decades (and, indeed, the same number of volumes), one might think they were well-acquainted with the Lady Isabella Trent--dragon naturalist, scandalous explorer, and perhaps as infamous for her company and feats of daring as she is famous for her discoveries and additions to the scientific field. 
And yet--after her initial adventure in the mountains of Vystrana, and her exploits in the depths of war-torn Eriga, to the high seas aboard The Basilisk, and then to the inhospitable deserts of Akhia--the Lady Trent has captivated hearts along with fierce minds. This concluding volume will finally reveal the truths behind her most notorious adventure--scaling the tallest peak in the world, buried behind the territory of Scirland's enemies--and what she discovered there, within the Sanctuary of Wings.
My thoughts:

Last book. I was excited to see how this one concludes since I have been enjoying this series. I have to say, this is my favorite book out of all of them. That is unusual for me as the last book often tends to be the weakest for me, but this one held my full attention.

It builds on the other books so I would suggest to read all of these in order. It shows the timeline of how she became a dragon naturalist/scientist, the barriers she eroded as a woman in the field, and the historical findings she made while being an adventurist. It is all well told together and you can see this alternate reality happening. Oh and there is a love story in the midst that also finds its way into this last story. This book becomes the most mythic out of all of the books and really comes to a complete conclusion. It is the most surprising of all of them and it feels like this is the book all the rest were building toward. I don't want to say too much or I'll spoil it, but this one captured me in scope and imagination. I wouldn't mind if there were more, especially with the artwork all the books include. I really feel that the artwork brings the stories to life.

I give this book 4 1/2 stars and highly recommend it to those that enjoy a fantastical history with dragons. Need I say more? 😊 I also recommend this series to those that would like to jump into fantasy but might have been reluctant in the past.

Bloggy Note:

For reviews of the other books in the series and a couple of author guest posts by Marie Brennan go HERE. There are also some artwork to enjoy on the author posts. 

🐉

63 comments:

  1. THis series was so fun :D I will miss it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for a finale that does justice to the series! I'm always wary of the last in a series but it sounds like this one really ended things with a bang. So glad you enjoyed this one, Melissa!
    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I'm usually wary myself but I was happy with this one.

      Delete
  3. I really need to try these books one day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm jealous of readers who are able to finish a series. Sigh. I've got so many unfinished one. I'm glad this was the conclusion you'd hoped for. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad this wrapped up well! I love when a series doesn't go out with a weak book

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read this series yet but those covers are so stunning that I want the books on my shelf whether I ever read them or not.

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the illustrations. I think those would capture you as well, but I also think you might enjoy the story too.

      Delete
  7. This has a gorgeous cover and I'm so glad the story within it just as good! Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every time you review one of these, I am reminded that I want to try this series. I need to see if my library has them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to bug that library! I'm not sure if mine hates me or likes me... :)

      Delete
  9. Yea! So glad you loved the last book. That makes the series a "keeper." I had when the final book is a let down! These books look so lovely and exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree. This one took an unexpected but welcome twist. :D

      Delete
  10. I love it when the best book in the series is the last book! It rarely happens for me, but there's nothing better than a series that ends on the highest note.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. The ending book usually isn't but in this case I enjoyed it a lot. :)

      Delete
  11. Wow...this series follows the MC through 5 decades? That seems unheard of and awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. It is a fun way to do it as well. You are reading her memoirs. :)

      Delete
  12. I haven't read any of these, but I've always been curious. That's awesome this is your favorite!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the take on the fantasy here. :) I think you might like it.

      Delete
  13. Oh how awesome you're reviewing this! I've been wanting to try this series but I was afraid they would be a little dry? But I think I'm going to give em a shot and start w/ the first one. Glad to hear you liked this one the most- love it when a series goes out well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the first ones felt a bit dry compared to this one, but you quickly get into the story. :)

      Delete
  14. Woot! Ok now I need to read them all...you have teased me long enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Na na! <-tease LOL I think you'll like them! I know you'll like the illustrations.

      Delete
  15. Sounds like a pretty interesting series!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Somehow I've missed this series and it looks fab. Love what you're saying about her work, the mystic element, the mild romance and the powerful finish.

    Thanks, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll really like the imagination that goes into it.

      Delete
  17. I think I added the first book of this series to my TBR based on one of your earlier reviews. I added the audio, but if I remember correctly, you said their are illustrations in the books. I think I'm going to have to read them. I wonder if the illustrations are in the ebooks?? I assume yes. I don't know that I've ever had an ebook with illustrations. Great review and I'm glad this series finished well for you.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes... you must see the illustrations. I'd guess the books would have the illustrations, but I don't know how they will format those. Sometimes the illustrations don't format well to some ebook readers, just so you know. Should be fine on the comp tho.

      Delete
  18. Wait, there is a book series about a dragon naturalist/scientist? Why haven't I read these yet? I love dragons! Plus your review makes them sound amazing so I have to add these to my TBR :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you must read these! :D They are too fun and now all are out!

      Delete
  19. That actually sounds pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay! Another fantasy book to read. But is this YA or NA? Maybe I'll just this on Goodreads.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I must say that this series has always intrigued me because I'm a fan of dragons. ;) I'm so happy that this final book was such a hit - it is pretty amazing that you felt it was the best. I'll definitely check it out. :)

    BTW, you won my reader appreciation raffle. Contact me so I can get your box of books to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dragons!... That is why I was interested as well. :)

      Thanks for the heads up on the raffle. Will contact you.

      Delete
  22. That is really awesome for a last book of a series. I'm always so nervous with those. Fab when they really rock it :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. now that it ends, I can finally devour them at one go.. muuahahh ..good solid recommendation there

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have this series as to one to get around to this year but I am def intimidated by it for some reason XD thought I think I would really enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
  25. Not sure if this series is for me, but I wouldn't mind pouring over the illustrations. They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I haven't read any of these, love when book series have a good conclusion, will keep an eye out for them, thank you xxx

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    ReplyDelete
  27. So glad to hear it ends well. It's always bitter sweet to read the last book, but great when it's well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Loving the cover of a series I'm seriously thinking of breaking my ban on buying books that form a series for.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That's great and kind of rare that the last book is so good. Gives something even more to look forward to

    ReplyDelete
  30. Tease. :) I would love to have gone to their talks. I think you'll like a lot of the fantasy they put out.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Death should be sorry for putting a guy through that for loving her?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Glad to see that this final book in the series was all you hoped for! Sounds like I'm missing out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such an interesting and creative take on an alternate history.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!