Friday, February 3, 2017

Every Which Way Crochet Borders by Edie Echman

Genre: Crafts
224 p.
Publisher: Storey Publishing
Published: 1/24/17
Source: From NetGalley and publisher for review
Step-by-step instructions and symbol charts put these 100 creative new border designs within reach for beginning and advanced crocheters alike. If you’re ready to chart your own crocheted course, Edie Eckman offers plenty of helpful design advice, including how to choose an appropriate border for each project and how to incorporate an element from the main stitch pattern into a new border design. She then explains, with the help of close-up photos, how the same pattern can have dramatically different results depending on the weight of the yarn. With each pattern diagramed to approach in both rounds and rows, Every Which Way Crochet Borders is an inventive and invaluable resource.
My thoughts:

Well, one of the crafts I like to do is crochet. However, I rarely have the patience to do large crochet patterns. So, when I saw this one, I knew it would be for me. It had exactly what I wanted. Not only did it give a great variety of border patterns, it also gave me how to embellish a fleece blanket. That was really what I was after.

I have read other crafts which prefer a hook that has a needle in it to puncture the fabric, but you are still left to figure out even spacing as well (in my case specifically) how to not puncture yourself. There is a rotary blade (you can find the blades and handles in the quilting section of the craft store) that cuts the fabric at even intervals and you evenly cut with that one. Perfect! It is a bit costly for one blade, but it would serve the exact purpose I will need. I haven't purchase it yet, but I am saving my pennies for it later. So you can see, you can find all manner of tidbits within the pages.

So, while some of the borders are very simple and easily achieved, I would still put this book at advanced beginner to intermediate depending on what one you are following. If you have the basics down you can take off from there much easier. There are helpful hints for beginners as well so don't be afraid to try it.

I give this book 4 stars and highly recommend it to crocheters who want to really embellish those items with a unique border or those needing inspiration getting into a new craft.

Bloggy note: If you would like a short intro by the author and publisher, a short article HERE that helps you choose the best border for your project.

💠

26 comments:

  1. I never tried to chrochete but it's beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. some of the things people can do with this is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't crocheted in a while, but small projects like this would definitely be more my thing for the time I have to do it.

    Neat that it worked out for the project you wanted to do, Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I think that is why I'm looking at borders rather than a whole blanket. :)

      Delete
  4. I tried to crochet back when I was a teen and every time I tried to make a baby blanket I wound up with a scarf. LoL I just never had the patience to finish it. Plus, my crocheting would go all wonky and end up going off to the side. I love the idea of doing borders and adding them onto other projects. I've actually recently in the past couple months taken up knitting and I've made a couple washcloths. LoL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get that. My blankets were very scarf-like as well. LOL

      I'd love to learn how to knit. :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Oh it is so easy to learn now! Good visual books and everything. :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing this, Melissa. I'm so happy it was just what you were looking for. I don't crochet - I knit - but my older daughter crochets and she might like this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never thought about a crocheted border for a fleece blanket but that would be perfect!!! I love the modern color combinations they used on the cover examples, too!!! This would be a perfect hobby for my poor, older hands but I'm afraid I might skewer myself, too :) Thanks for the linky intro, too - you rock!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why I do dull hooks and not stabby needles. LOL :D

      Delete
  8. i wish I have time to crochet. Haven't done it for 5 years! plus i love your new header

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is easy to pick up again. I go through periods of time where I haven't done any at all.

      Delete
  9. Ooo~ I'm gonna have to forward this to my wife. She's been getting big into knitting and such.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh. I know a few people that do crocheting. This is interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those borders are really pretty on the cover. I would definitely say that would be advanced for me. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think once you get the hang of it, it would be easy since it would be repetition. :)

      Delete
  12. I am not one to crochet! So I'm glad you find it to be a good little addition!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!