Monday, August 15, 2016

Eterna and Omega by Leanna Renee Hieber

Series: Eterna Files #2
336 p.
Publisher: Tor Books
Published: 8/9/16
Source: From publisher for review
Battle is joined as British and American paranormal investigators clash in an exciting gaslamp fantasy. 
Leanna Renee Hieber's gaslamp fantasy series continues and the action ramps up in Eterna and Omega.

In New York City, fearing the dangers of the Eterna Compound--supposedly the key to immortality--Clara Templeton buries information vital to its creation. The ghost of her clandestine lover is desperate to tell her she is wrong, but though she is a clairvoyant, she cannot hear him.
In London, Harold Spire plans to send his team of assassins, magicians, mediums, and other rogue talents to New York City, in an attempt to obtain Eterna for Her Royal Majesty, Queen Victoria. He stays behind to help Scotland Yard track down a network of body snatchers and occultists, but he'll miss his second-in-command, Rose Everhart, whose gentle exterior masks a steel spine.

Rose's skepticism about the supernatural has been shattered since she joined Spire's Omega Branch. Meeting Clara is like looking into a strange mirror: both women are orphans, each is concealing a paranormal ability, and each has a powerful and attractive guardian who has secrets of his own.
The hidden occult power that menaces both England and America continues to grow. Far from being dangerous, Eterna may hold the key to humanity's salvation.
My thoughts:

I liked the first book but did not love it. It was enough for me to want to read this one. So, when I got it in the mail, I immediately picked it up. Unfortunately it took me a while to get though it. Heavy on description, it slowed down the flow of the book considerably. It drew me out of the book instead of in it. It had some of the same problems as the first book for me, but I remember slipping to parts of the book. I really didn't get there until the end in this one.

I do love the worldbuilding in this series and also the characters. It feels as if the language, although appropriate, seems too flowery. I also love the idea behind the plot and the various organizations that surround our characters. There is a budding love story that you want but it bittersweet from the last book. I actually didn't know how I wanted that to go until the end. It makes sense and makes sense as to why it is taking so long. Their relationship really hasn't been explored in any depth and to have a romance now would be too premature. As for the paranormal aspects, I did enjoy how those things were explained and handled. It's like the bones of the story are solid, but the tendons holding things together are just too thick.

I give this book 3 stars. I have a feeling it will be like the last book that you will either love or hate it. I didn't love it but didn't hate it by any means. I think it is interesting and I would suggest you try the first book first (it should be read in order anyway) to see if it is the series for you. I would say that those that like fantasy, alternate history with paranormal aspects might give it a go.

30 comments:

  1. Hmm ... sounds like an interesting series, but not sure if I want to dive in anytime soon. I'm not able to pinpoint why, but I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may hit is stride with me yet. :) I also love this cover.

      Delete
  2. I love the cover! But sorry this wasn't a strong follow up, though. I've only ever read a book by this author before many moons ago but I didn't know she's got a new series out. I hope you'll have better luck with the next book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved her last series. I so agree with you on that cover.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes worldbuilding can make or break a book. You need enough to make it interesting, especially in fantasy books, but if you do too much, it can really slow down the story. I love the ideas behind these books, but I'm not sure if they are for me or not. I'm going wait to see how the next book goes. Is it a trilogy?

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what it is... the descriptions? I do like the worldbuilding otherwise. I do think it is a trilogy but I'm not positive.

      Delete
  4. A shame this book wasn't all you had hoped for.

    I'm not sure if its part of a trilogy or a longer series, but I am interested to know if there are any more books will you be reading them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it is a trilogy I would pick up the last book. I do like the characters and would still be interested.

      Delete
  5. Hmm..not sure if I have the patience for a slow pace book right now. I'll put it in my maybe pile for now. I like the series's concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, it may not be as slow for you as it was for me. Might library book it. :)

      Delete
  6. I haven't heard of this one but sorry to hear it fell in that "okay" zone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm okay with okay. LOL It just won't be a favorite of mine. Loved her last series though.

      Delete
  7. Sometimes world building is to huge. It does weigh a book down. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well now I do not know. I have wanted to try this series, but sat on the fence since you were not alone in your thoughts. I wonder if audio would be better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be curious to see if audio does make a difference. Hm...

      Delete
  9. Love the cover! It drives me crazy when the author drowns you in detail.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've met Leanna Renee Hieber a few times at different conventions and have always wondered about her work. I can see that she could get over-detailed with world building. But that isn't always a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first series didn't have this affect on me. If you haven't tried her, do try the Strangely Beautiful series.

      Delete
  11. Ah frustrating when they let the words overpower themselves. I have one of hers from a book con I went to years ago. One day I'm sure I'll get to it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first series was very good. If it is that one, I do think you'll enjoy it.

      Delete
  12. I'm anxious now because I had the same problem with book 1... i hope it will be ok with this one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I had the same problem as the first, but then again you may not! *crosses fingers*

      Delete
  13. I really love this cover but I'm not sure this is going to work for me. It does sound really interesting, though, so maybe I'll pick it up to give it a shot--after all, the worst case scenario seems to be just an OK novel. Thanks for putting this on my radar, Melissa!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. I'm okay with okay. :D Might want to library book it first though. :)

      Delete
  14. I haven't heard of this series before, not something I would usually read though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!