Friday, April 29, 2016

Masks and Shadows by Stephanie Burgis

Standalone
300 p.
Publisher: Pyr
Published: 4/12/16
Source: From publisher for review
The year is 1779, and Carlo Morelli, the most renowned castrato singer in Europe, has been invited as an honored guest to Eszterháza Palace. With Carlo in Prince Nikolaus Esterházy's carriage, ride a Prussian spy and one of the most notorious alchemists in the Habsburg Empire. Already at Eszterháza is Charlotte von Steinbeck, the very proper sister of Prince Nikolaus's mistress. Charlotte has retreated to the countryside to mourn her husband's death. Now, she must overcome the ingrained rules of her society in order to uncover the dangerous secrets lurking within the palace's golden walls. Music, magic, and blackmail mingle in a plot to assassinate the Habsburg Emperor and Empress--a plot that can only be stopped if Carlo and Charlotte can see through the masks worn by everyone they meet.
My thoughts:

Oh the cover intrigued me and so did the blurb and yet I really didn't know what to expect in this book. I just knew it was about a historical setting, opera, and lots of music... and a bit of the paranormal thrown in. Yea, I knew this one would be for me.

The book goes through several POVs but what was confusing at first was just remembering who was who and that would have been a problem for me if it was only one POV. Quickly, it did settle in my head enough that the book took off and then shortly after that I had all the players securely in my head.

A mystery flows through the book and we know that the Prince is a big part of it. However, what is being planned and how much damage will be wrought? There is an undercurrent of secret society with a demon at it's center but those things tended to stay at the periphery until the end. The end culminates with the mystery surrounding the story, music and a whole lot of explosive magic. It was a complete ending.

I enjoyed that aspect of the story but what really captured me was the romance between Carlo a castrato and Charlotte who was newly widowed. Both have let society dictate their lives and both have suffered for it. They also need to learn to trust and it is hard trusting one another. However, I really was impressed with Charlotte shunning the drama for truth and that helped the romance move forward. I didn't quite see why Carlo loved Charlotte as much as I was able to see the reverse, but it didn't matter as I was still swept up in their romance. This part of the story really moved the rest of the mystery along more than the other POVs in the story.

I give this book 4 stars. I really enjoyed the historical setting, the feel of Hyden's music, and the mystery behind it all. I recommend it to those that love historical mystery fiction with a bit of paranormal at the fringes.

25 comments:

  1. I would struggle to hang on all the characters I think, but it sounds like a nice book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was only for a short bit. I just didn't want people to be discouraged so soon.

      Delete
  2. Oh yay! I have this one too Melissa and was definitely drawn to the cover:) Glad to see you enjoyed it despite the different POVs taking a little time to settle into in the beginning:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd love that cover! :) It really only frustrated me for a small bit, but I still wanted to warn people. :)

      Delete
  3. I really think I would like and enjoy the setting as well and that cover, gorgeous! Wonderful review Melissa, I hope you have an amazing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the setting was so interesting!

      You have a great one too!

      Delete
  4. My attention span will probably stray quite often while reading this book. Don't know if the romance will be enough to save it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was only at the beginning. I only mention it because people may quit after that. It pulled together quickly as I said. It still may not be for you.

      Delete
  5. Love the setting and mystery. The cover is stunning and I have it marked as wanting to read. I am glad to see you enjoyed it! Beautiful review Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This cover is absolutely beautiful! I haven't heard of this before but I'm definitely intrigued by it after reading your review. Thanks for putting this on my radar, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to know what you think. For me, the romance really helped this story.

      Delete
  7. Oh that does sound good and a little different! That's good to hear the characters settled in your head after the first little bit. That always makes me so anxious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit anxious at first... which is why I wanted to mention it. It didn't take long! :)

      Delete
  8. I don't think this is really my thing but it does have an interesting mix.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may not be. It is interesting in the historical sense as well as the paranormal.

      Delete
  9. The cover really grabs you. Happy the story inside was just as good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love multiple POVs when done right, so I'm glad this turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I did worry at first it wasn't done right, but I was happily wrong. :)

      Delete
  11. Nice when you are drawn in yet still don't know what to expect. That's a job well done. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really got into it quickly. Something I do think you'd enjoy.

      Delete
  12. A good mystery and a captivating romance! I think I'd enjoy this one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!