Monday, March 14, 2016

Audiobook Review with Crafts: Deity by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Series: Covenant #3
Narrator: Justine Eyre
Unabridged
11 hrs. 7 min.
Publisher: Tantor Audio
Published: 4/22/14
Source: Library/Hoopla
Alexandria isn't sure she's going to make it to her eighteenth birthday, the day of her Awakening. A long-forgotten, fanatical order is out to kill her, and if the Council ever discovers what she did in the Catskills, she's a goner...and so is Aiden.If that's not freaky enough, whenever Alex and Seth spend time "training," which really is just Seth's code word for some up-close and personal one-on-one time, she ends up with another mark of the Apollyon. This brings her one step closer to Awakening ahead of schedule. Awesome.But as her birthday draws near, her entire world shatters with a startling revelation and she's caught between love and fate. One will do anything to protect her. One has been lying to her since the beginning. Once the gods have revealed themselves, unleashing their wrath, lives will be irrevocably changed...and destroyed.Those left standing will discover if love is truly greater than fate...
My thoughts:

It has been a while since I read the second book but I couldn't wait to get to this one. It didn't take me long to get back into the storyline and I didn't have to go back a reread what had happened. I was worried about that, but it all came quickly back to me. I was immersed into this world rather quickly.

Well, this is a great follow up to the last book. Aiden is still a great swoony guy. Proof that the bad boy doesn't always win. ;) Seth is still an arse even though we thought he may redeem himself. I still think he will (mostly judging by the books out after this one and the prophesy) but for now he could use a swift kick in the arse. Things in the story arc move along nicely and it brings us right up to Alex's awakening. What happens is important in this world and I cannot wait to see what happens next. I know that says nothing you probably didn't already know but I am trying not to spoil anything.

I didn't mind the audio. I, in fact, loved Justine's voices... including the boys. However, I didn't quite get her voice for Alex's thoughts. It is sort of rough and tired. I put it on 1.25 speed for that reason and it sped it up enough that it didn't bother me but also didn't alter her great voicing of the characters.

This is a series I recommend to those that enjoy mythology, PNR, and are just reluctant to try YA PNR. I think you'll find Aiden interesting since he considers Alex when he knows his actions can have consequences for her. I'm so tired of the only thinking of self trope with these guys and he is a refreshing exception. If you haven't read this series, do so now!

Crafts!
I made a toiletry bag to go with the duffle bag that I made earlier. This pattern is by Two Pretty Poppets and was a pretty quick sew. I love that the top d ring is designed to latch onto a towel bar if you need extra room (just bring the v around the bar and clip the swivel latch to the d-ring to secure). I had already made the piping for the duffle so I just added it to the black canvas. The lid also has a mesh pocket for extra storage.


31 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved this series, in fact it was/is my favorite that she has written so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving it. In a way I'm glad I waited so I can devour them one after another. :)

      Delete
  2. I still haven't read this series, I keep meaning to, but I haven't made time for it. Perhaps I will try the audio since you liked it well enough. Love your toiletry bag. You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DANG I have to look at your crafts at home. We block some graphics sites and I can see them!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it is a toiletry bag. Perhaps they thought it was naughty. LOL

      Delete
  4. Is it hard to make a pouch? I'm thinking of making one for myself to store stuff in but the patterns I saw looked too complex for an amateur like me! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends on what you want. This one is a bit more involved but doable. If you haven't done zippers before you might want to try something more simple like a boxy bag. E-mail me and we'll figure out a good pattern for you.

      Delete
  5. I have had a few narrators that seems to drag when talking and had to bump up speed. I tend to listen to most at 1.25x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sigh. I have a love/hate relationship with Ms. JLA's books. The first book to this series frustrated me, but I gave it a 5-star rating begrudgingly. Anyway, I'm still on the fence on whether or not to continue with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that. I've loved the series from the beginning. Just may not be for you.

      Delete
  7. I have heard great things about this series, it's been on my TBR for some time. Happy it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read the first book way back when it first came out. I was a little blah about it so I didn't continue. Of course my taste in books is always changing so I may like it more now. I'm glad you enjoyed this. I didn't realize this series was on audio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see my tastes have changed as well, but I still enjoyed it. :)

      Delete
  9. I never got tot his series...Her writing is a lot of fun though.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still need to finish this series Melissa! I just have the last book to read, and I think its way past time I return to Aiden, Alex and Seth:) So glad you enjoyed the audio!

    And your crafts are always so amazing! I took a sewing class once and failed spectacularly. I'm sure I could try again, but my patience for crafts when they don't appear to be turning out is not what it should be. *hangs head*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to try to at least finish this part of the series.

      Aw thanks! Just practice. My early stuff was not to be seen. ;)

      Delete
  11. Very nice tote! I don't think I'd be able to split my attention between book and craft. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Since I'm following a pattern and not making one, it's no problem. :)

      Delete
  12. I've eyed this series for a while. I think what's holding me back is its similarities with Vampire Academy which I heard through other readers. Since I didn't care for VA I didn't bother with this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read VA so I guess I don't have to worry about the comparisons there. :)

      Delete
  13. My friend bought me the first book, I really need to get into it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved this series! I would love to listen to it on audio!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!