Friday, December 4, 2015

Of Ice and Snow by Amber Argyle

Series: Fairy Queens #0.5
133 p.
Publisher: Starling Publishing
Published: 9/1/15
Source: From author for review
Otec thought destiny forgot him… 
The middle child of the clanchief, Otec is the overlooked son in an overflowing house. He dreams of escape and adventure, so when a mysterious stranger offers both, he doesn’t need persuading. But when his faraway village comes under attack, Otec will do anything to save the people he loves. Cut off from his nation, he must trust a foreign woman with a dubious past as they race to save his clan. But nothing is what it seems, and Otec may have to trust his enemy if he is to become the leader he was never meant to be. 
Destiny is not always kind.
My thoughts:

I've been enjoying the Fairy Queen series. This one is about Ilyenna's parents the main character of the first book. Since this is a prequel, you don't even need to know that fact if you haven't read the other books. She doesn't make an appearance in this book, but it is nice to keep in mind for those that have read the series.

I really liked Otec and Matka the main characters. There is a lot of growth for both characters in such a short book. The book is also packed with action and war. The fae in this book make an important appearance but are not the main focus of this book. I think this book establishes how this clan cultivated loyalty and sets the background for the Snow Queen. It isn't necessary to the overall series, but to a fan it is a great addition. It reads as the others do, like a good engaging fantasy.

I give this book 4 stars. I recommend it to those that are already enjoying the series as well as those that like YA Fantasy.

25 comments:

  1. And now I can't remember the rest, I am so bad with names

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've even heard of this series, but I adore YA fantasy so I'll definitely find time for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do like her stories. You should really check her work out.

      Delete
  3. Ooooo love all the purples on this cover Melissa, very eye-catching! Sounds like this is a good place to start this series, thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps as a standalone novel I'd enjoy this. A bit put off by the whole prequel thing though. A bit like films I seem to have a bit of a mental block (why I don't know) fitting in what happened when if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It reads more like a novel than a prequel to me. :) I usually like to go back to prequels rather than read them first.

      Delete
  5. I don't usually like fantasy but I've read a few that I did recently. Maybe I'm moving on to a new reading phase after burnout from other genres. lol

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has been forever since I have read a fairy book of any kind and this series sounds fun, I'm glad your enjoying it so much!

    ReplyDelete


  7. I am always up for a well written fantasy book with Fae. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo the fae. I do enjoy them and it's been ages.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love fae stories and I do remember your other reviews. I'l have to remember to consider reading this series!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That cover is so pretty! Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. it's always nice to have a good prequel to a series we enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad that you enjoyed this addition to the series you loved!

    ReplyDelete
  13. huh, I haven't heard of this series before. Sounds good. I love fairies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. that is awesome that you have enjoyed this one despite it being so short!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!