Monday, November 23, 2015

The Lost Soul of Lord Badewyn by Mia Marlowe

Series: The Order of the MUSE #3
255 p.
Publisher: Entangled: Select Historical
Published: 11/23/15
Source: Publisher and NetGalley for review
He vowed to never fall in love... 
Meg Anthony was never raised a lady. Instead, she grew up amongst grifters who used her unique "finding" ability for their own selfish purposes. Recently, she's been taken under the wing of the Duke of Camden and the Order of M.U.S.E., learning not only the fine art of becoming a lady, but how to use her extraordinary talent to help others. 
But Meg's gift is a beacon to unsavory characters who would possess her. 
Charged with her protection, Lord Badewyn knows--too well--that his wild, Welsh castle is no safe haven for this lovely, all-too-desirable creature. Part human, part fallen angel, he is one of the Nephilim. He is a recluse sworn never to love. As the dangers to Meg grow more threatening, he cannot help but find himself tempted beyond all reason...and tested to see if he has both a heart and a soul.
My thoughts:

I didn't realize that this was the third book in a series, but knowing me, that doesn't stop me from diving into a book. I occasionally wondered if I had missed other books because the characters needed no introduction and were quite familiar with each others stories. Despite this, I was not lost and had no problems not reading the other two books. My problem now is that I want to read those other two books. :)

I was in the mood for a historical romantic fiction which made me curious about this one. When I realized it had a paranormal element to it, I was sold. I was also not disappointed in any of these themes. It was also not terribly original and you already knew the outcomes of what would happen. It didn't matter, it was a fun read. I liked the characters and although I found myself connecting less with Lord Badewyn (Samuel) I still rooted for him. I did connect with Meg and found her interesting once the "lady" facade was taken away from her. Before that I just couldn't get a handle on her character.

I give this book 4 stars. If you are looking for a fun PNR with a side of historical reference, then this book may be for you. I can't wait to go back and read the other two books I missed before this one.

26 comments:

  1. It's been years since I'd read a decent historical fiction... or any at all, really. This sounds like a whole lot of fun, although I'd probably start with the first. The paranormal parts would make it all the more fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have started with the first had I known. ;) It was a whole lot of fun! Btw, so glad to see you around Maja!!

      Delete
  2. Oooo such a pretty cover on this one Melissa! I'm always up for a PNR/historical romance combo:) Glad to know you weren't lost despite this being the third book, I hope the first two are as strong as this proved to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd enjoy this one too. Samuel is swoon worthy. :)

      Delete
  3. I am intrigued, but lately my historicals have been a big fat flop, so I am holding off

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh I want!! I love historical fantasies! Thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you were able to jump right into the story and didn't feel lost at all. It sounds like it was a pretty solid read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A series I should take a look at ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I took a really long break from PNR but I'm starting to get back to it. I'll add this one to the pile.

    Love the cover too.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really interesting to see the PNR aspect! I haven't seen much of that in historical romance. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! This sounds great! I love historical and with a light PNR that's really great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for putting this one on my radar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's great that you weren't lost and had a good time with the story like that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A Welsh castle? Part human-part fallen angel? I could be tempted by this one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds good and I am delighted to see diving into the 3rd book worked out. That cover is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw yay I'm glad to hear you enjoyed them. I started at book two and it made me curious about the first one too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Historical and paranormal? Sold! I love the cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I only read the occasional historical romance, but you sold me with the paranormal element. I just went to Amazon and bought book 1 even though it's not as highly reviewed as books 2 and 3, I thought I would start at the beginning. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh... Historical with a paranormal element... sounds interesting! Great review, glad you enjoyed it despite being the third in a series!

    ReplyDelete
  18. ooh great thoughts on this one. I had fun with it as well. Mia Marlowe is such a fun author to read!! I love this group, they are so unique and I can't wait to see what the author comes up with next for the series.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!