Friday, September 4, 2015

The Conquering Dark by Clay and Susan Griffith

Series: Crown and Key #3
338 p.
Publisher: Del Rey
Published: 7/28/15
Source: NetGalley and publisher for review
The Crown and Key Society face their most terrifying villain yet: Gaios, a deranged demigod with the power to destroy Britain. 
To avenge a centuries-old betrayal, Gaios is hell-bent on summoning the elemental forces of the earth to level London and bury Britain. The Crown and Key Society, a secret league consisting of a magician, an alchemist, and a monster-hunter, is the realm’s only hope—and to stop Gaios, they must gather their full strength and come together as a team, or the world will fall apart. 
But Simon Archer, the Crown and Key’s leader and the last living magician-scribe, has lost his powers. As Gaios searches for the Stone of Scone, which will give him destructive dominion over the land, monster-hunter Malcolm MacFarlane, alchemist extraordinaire Kate Anstruther, gadget geek Penny Carter, and Charlotte the werewolf scramble to reconnect Simon to his magic before the world as they know it is left forever in ruins.
My thoughts:
The last book? Say it isn't so. I'm hoping we have more since their other series, The Vampire Empire was also complete, but is coming up with a new book shortly. Even if there are no more in this series, this trilogy went out with a bang. I don't always love series ender books, but this one was good.

I've enjoyed this trilogy from the beginning and was so happy when I got the okay to review the ending book. We knew what was coming for our intrepid group but we just didn't know how it would play out. We have action from the beginning but we are not left out of how this group really becomes a family. While they were family long before this book starts, it is here where all our characters agree that they are family and will do anything for each other. I think that is why it is so hard to let this bunch go. We just got to know them as a family and want to see more of this type of dynamic in the group.

I will say that the ending is harrowing and a tear or two may be shed. Although some of it is heartbreaking, it is complete. There is a way for the group to come back if the authors intend to write more adventures for this series and I can only hope this is something they have considered.

I give this book 4 1/2 stars. It is a great conclusion to a fabulous trilogy. I recommend this book but I do say to read them in order. Now that they are all out, this shouldn't be a problem!

23 comments:

  1. Loving the cover of what sounds like a great series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, you got the same spam comment as me ;-)

    I need to read this series Melissa, I so loved their Vampire Empire series and definitely want to dive into this new world. I've been waiting for all the books to be out so I can binge read! So glad you felt this was a strong series ender (or hopefully, just a strong book three ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited you read and loved this! I have had so much darn fun with this series. I truly hope that wasn't the last book and there are many more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like a great read indeed, greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right? Hopefully Penny and Malcolm gets the spin-off.

    My heart broke when that certain person did a self-sacrifice. I'm like NOOO!!! Not after everything Kate has done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I NOOoooOO'd as well. :( I'm hoping for more and not just a spin off (although that would be fine too).

      Delete
  6. Oh look, you got the same darn Sppammer as I do :/

    ReplyDelete
  7. WTH> that spammer is something else. I bought the first book a month or so ago and haven't opened it. Sigh....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! They tried to go back a ways too, but didn't work.

      Open the book! :)

      Delete
  8. Ooh, I haven't read this series but it seems like something right up my alley! I definitely will be diving into these books soon so thanks for putting in on my radar, Melissa! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love the Holmes-ian type of mystery with paranormal and steampunk thrown in, I think you'll enjoy it. :)

      Delete
  9. This sounds like a neat series! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woots for a good series ender! I have book one on my tbr pile for book club in Oct. Glad I'm getting into a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you'll have more too! I heard so many great things about these books. I'm so curious to start the first one and it's amazing to great it's a good one again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everybody is loving these books. Happy it ended with a band.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I get so excited and amped to read this when I see it all went well and has a great finish. I have the first book and can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  14. To vindicate a centuries-old selling out, Gaios is never going to budge on summoning the natural powers of the earth to level London and cover Britain. The Crown and Key Society, a mystery group comprising of a conjurer, a chemist, and a beast seeker, is the domain's just trust.
    thesis writing service

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've loved what I've heard of this series. It's definitely one I need to get my hands on. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!