Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Silverblind by Tina Connolly

Series: Ironskin #3
272 p.
Published 10/7/14
Publisher: Tor Books
The final book in this series will jump forward 18 years and feature Dorie, Jane's young charge from Ironskin. 
18 years later...
Dorie Rochart has been hiding her fey side for a long time. Now, finished with University, she plans to study magical creatures and plants in the wild, bringing long-forgotten cures to those in need. But when no one will hire a girl to fight basilisks, she releases her shapechanging fey powers--to disguise herself as a boy.
While hunting for wyvern eggs, she saves a young scientist who's about to get steamed by a silvertail-- and finds her childhood friend Tam Grimsby, to whom she hasn't spoken in seven years. Not since she traded him to the fey. She can't bear to tell him who she really is, but every day grows harder as he comes to trust her. 
The wyverns are being hunted to extinction for the powerful compounds in their eggs. The fey are dying out as humans grow in power. Now Tam and Dorie will have to decide which side they will fight for. And if they end up on opposite sides, can their returning friendship survive?
I've enjoyed the other two books so I was thrilled to get the last book in the trilogy. In this book we are moved in time ahead to 18 years later and we follow Dorie the child we left in the other two books. She is full grown and trying to find her own way in this world. Wanting to become an explorer she finds herself in the midst of misogynist attitudes. She decides to use her fae powers to become a boy in order to get the job she seeks. While exploring she finds out more about the world and the misinformation which is used to the crown's benefit and to the decimation of several species. She tries to find a way to stop and help the fae and wyverns who desperately need her help.

I really liked the plot of this book but I cringed often with some of the decisions she made. I think even a "Seriously?!" or two escaped from my lips. I did enjoy the slow re-introduction of Dorie and Tam and while there is no solid romance at the end of the book, you do see the possibility of a relationship. I also enjoyed Dorie's other friends, Jack and Sadie. They complimented her character well.

In the end I give this book 3 1/2 stars. I enjoyed the environmental and women's rights issues tackled in this world. It gave Dorie a good fight to help her find herself. I recommend it to those that enjoy fae stories.

15 comments:

  1. Oh wow that is a big jump to make in a series. Glad to hear it was enjoyable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. It also didn't feel like a huge jump. It was logical.

      Delete
  2. Hm. I'm not sure if this is for me Melissa, questionable decision making on the part of a character is a pet peeve of mine, so I think Dorie would drive me a little crazy. Glad you still enjoyed this one overall despite that though:):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would be okay since she smartens up quite a bit in the end. :)

      Delete
  3. I have the first book on my bookshelf somewhere but never got around to it. I do like fae stories so I may give this series a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo I had this series on my wishlist, but not sure I could handle her actions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked this one it was fun to discover her story but that's true that some of her actions are strange.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good to hear that women issues were tackled in this book. I am definitely curious!

    nice review, melissa <33

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the sounds of this one and now I'm definitiely adding this one to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't typically like fae stories but this does sound a little different so I might give it a shot one day.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was a touch disappointed in this one as well as far as Dorie and her decisions go, but all in all it was a good ending to the series.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, those crazy cringe worthy decisions, got to love them

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have done the shocked "seriously?" to so many character lately! Glad I'm not the only one, and that you still enjoyed the book in spite of Dorie's wtf moments. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!