Friday, December 9, 2011

Black Sun's Daughter Books 3 and 4 by M.L.N. Hanover



Vicious Grace (book #3)
When you're staring evil in the eye, don't forget to watch your back . . .

For the first time in forever, Jayné Heller's life is making sense. Even if she routinely risks her life to destroy demonic parasites that prey on mortals, she now has friends, colleagues, a trusted lover, and newfound confidence in the mission she inherited from her wealthy, mysterious uncle. Her next job might just rob her of all of them.

At Grace Memorial Hospital in Chicago, something is stirring. Patients are going AWOL and research subjects share the same sinister dreams. Half a century ago, something was buried under Grace in a terrible ritual, and it's straining to be free. Jayné is primed to take on whatever's about to be let loose.

Yet the greatest danger now may not be the huge, unseen force lurking below, but the evil that has been hiding in plain sight all along—taking her ever closer to losing her body, her mind, and her soul. . . .
In this book things get out of hand for our little self-made family. One member even comes back into the fold. And although Janyé is growing, she still hasn't found out exactly who she is. However, one of the gods in her world falls and she doesn't know if she will ever be the same. She has to now find out who the person she really looked up to was in truth and also fight an impossible threat. Not just one demon, but a legion. This book was much more wrenching emotionally for our little group as well as action packed. I give this book 4 stars and think it is even better than the last. I think as the covers keep getting better and better, so does this series. Oh and if you read this one. Make sure you have the next on hand. It ends in a cliffie. One I didn't mind since I actually DID have it! Go me! :D

Killing Rites (book #4)
Jayné Heller has discovered the source of her uncanny powers; something else is living inside her body. She's possessed. Of all her companions, she can only bring herself to confide in Ex, the former priest. They seek help from his old teacher and the circle of friends he left behind, hoping to cleanse Jayné before the parasite in her becomes too powerful.

Ex's history and a new enemy combine to leave Jayné alone and on the run. Her friends, thinking that the rider with her has taken the reins, try to hunt her down, unaware of the danger they're putting her in. Jayné must defeat the weight of the past and the murderous intent of another rider, and her only allies are a rogue vampire she once helped free and the nameless thing hiding inside her skin.

Oh this one was hard to put down. This was Jayné's journey into herself. She finds out things about herself and what she is willing to do by becoming her own advocate instead of a victim. She gets the big answer she asked herself in the cliffie and now it's time to decide what to do about it. Hard choices and zealotry combine into impossible choices. Is she willing to believe in herself when no one else will? How will she prove her innocence... and is she truly innocent? In fact, as many questions are answered there forms more. I found this actually fascinating and not frustrating. Perhaps the reason is because you know that this series keeps on getting better and there is going to be a next book. Oh yes there will be even if I have to possess the author to get it! ;) I give this book 4 1/2 stars.

Side note to all the books: Jayné's favorite band is Pink Martini. In fact it is mentioned several times throughout all the books. She also calls things "little tomato" all the time as an endearment. Below is the song by Pink Martini called Hang on Little Tomato. It's a song of hope.

13 comments:

  1. A nice song and interesting series, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need this series. I do believe it is an interesting twist to the normal Urban Fantasies! I love the covers and Book 4 sounds downright awesome ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I love when books in a series just keep getting better and better, and good to know that all the questions really didn't bother you:) At least you get some answers, that's usually enough to tide me over! Definitely need to add this series to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for the music, I would not have guessed it was a real band :)

    And loving that last cover! That alone makes me wanna read it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems like this series get better as you go along. Luckily it's being released in the UK next month so I may even catch you up at some point! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me with the first 2 reviews, but now I'm determined to pick these up sooner rather than later. Mostly because you say the series just keeps getting better and better. I still adore the covers, but I digress....

    I love me some minis!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so gad the books improve. Now your others review make me more curious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice song and great review! This book is something that I really want to read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was skeptical about starting this series, but knowing it gets better and better makes me wicked excited!!!! I need it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't get over how you tore through this series... and in order no less!

    I also can't get over how someone stole my picture and used it for the book covers! Yes, that's my hot body!

    As I said before, I love series that get better with each book, until it gets to the point that you just can't put them down! Thanks for introducing me to this series, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. P.S. Every time I come here, I always stare at that animation for a while before I can do anything else. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Pink Martini! One of my favorite songs is Sympathique. I'm likin' this author already :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok. I have the third book here on the shelf and note to self to pick up forth at start so can go into it. :D Thank you! These sound very good as compared to the first 2. And thanks for sharing the band!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I ❤ comments!